Chapter 24

ADAPTED

All Rights Reserved

©️ Emrys Noah 2021

BETILLA

I looked back at him while he analysed me with those judging eyes I dreaded. He couldn't remember. He snapped his eyes away from me as if dismissing me. I took a step back and Ariana noticed it. I didn't miss the smile that left her face. This couldn't be happening. She reached for me and I shook my head while trying to hold back tears at the painful news. "Who are you?" He finally asked after noticing the interaction between his mother and me. "Nobody," I whispered and ran out of the room. I couldn't bear it, he couldn't remember me, after everything we had been through. I was back to phase one. 

I sat in the waiting room trying to gather my mind. I had called my parents and told them everything, at that moment, I felt really alone. Moments had passed when I finally heard Ariana approach me. "He's asleep," She mumbled as she sat next to me. "Betilla, it'll be alright." She reassured me and wrapped her hands around me. I sighed as I cherished her embrace. "I told him who you really were- are." She said once I was relaxed. I sat up immediately, not missing the past tense she used. 

"How did he take it?" I asked. She looked pained to continue, "Ariana, please tell me." She sighed before answering. "He laughed at me. But, he said he wanted to see you later." I looked at my hands which were fidgeting. "Look, you don't have to go if you don't want to-" I cut her off. "I won't give up on him," I said and spotted the doctor who was coming our way. 

"The test results have come in. As a result of the accident, Archer may suffer from retrograde amnesia." He said and waited before continuing. "This is when the victim suffers a loss of memories prior to the TBI." He stopped. "So is that why he can't remember me?" I asked. The doctor looked at me and nodded. 

"Long-term retrograde amnesia after a car accident is not common, one study found that up to 20 per cent of people with mild TBIs may experience amnesia for longer than six months. This type of amnesia robs victims of past memories and can have long-lasting impacts." My jaw drops at the facts. "Six months?" I exclaimed, Ariana reached for my hand. She gave me a reassuring look. 

"Again, these issues may not be obvious right away. To make matters worse, many victims are reluctant to admit that they are suffering from memory loss – they want to believe that they are fine and that it will go away in a few days." He finished. So Archer is convinced he never knew me? I fell back to the chair, the pain was too much. I reached for my chest. "I can't breathe," I mumbled before passing out. 

I snapped my eyes open. I took in my surroundings, I was in a hospital room. I sat up and stared at my hands while trying to recall what happened. "Shit, I passed out," I muttered under my breath as I started to get out of bed. I stopped when I saw Ariana on the chair in my room. She was asleep. I sighed as I paddled all the way to where she sat. "Hey, I'm alright," I mumbled to her when I tapped her to wake up. 

She opened her eyes and I could see the relief in them, I frowned at one fact though. "I thought you'd stay with Archer," I said rubbing my arm. She smiled and answered. "His father is with him. The nurses said not to crowd his room, so I decided to stay with you." I nodded at her, "How are you?" She added. I looked down at myself, "Oof, just the usual, boyfriend got into an accident and can't remember who I am. It's not the end of the world am I right?" I tried to say that sarcastically but I ended up in tears at the end. She sighed and hugged me. "Betilla, I need you to stay strong." 

She had to leave the room when she got a call. I reached for my phone and saw missed calls from my parents and Mae. I sighed as I shut my phone and went to the bathroom. I stared back at the broken girl in the mirror. I watched her dull eyes. I sighed and just resorted to washing my face. I left the bathroom to see Ariana standing in my room with a smile on her face. "He wants to see you." I faked a smile. 

We walked out of my hospital room and went to his. I sighed internally as we neared his room. I really didn't know what to expect. I definitely didn't want to relive the moments we had when he was cold to me. His mom was smiling at me thinking he had remembered me. But I knew he didn't. The look he gave me at first was so detailed. It was vivid with confusion and irritation. He definitely did not remember me. I knew that for sure. 

We had reached his room. I let Ariana step in first and I followed after. I shut the door lightly behind me. I greeted his dad with yet another fake smile. I didn't know I had got Archer's attention. I held my breath as I turned my head to look back at him. "Hey, Archer, I'm Betilla," I said with a shaky voice. I held my hand out to him. He eyed my hand with such disgust. "I'm sorry we got off to a wrong start. I just wanted to apologize." He said flatly, definitely not meaning a single word in his apology. I sighed as I started to leave the room. It was pointless. "Betilla, don't go," Ariana spoke up. "You said you weren't going to give up." I looked back at her with teary eyes.