Extra Chapter ~ 9

ADAPTED

All Rights Reserved

©️ Emrys Noah 2021

BETILLA

I felt my jaw hit the floor as I stared at him with anger in my eyes. What the hell was he doing here? I held the door and pulled it to me instinctively. "Hello, Betty." He said and I instantly regretted telling him that he could call me that. "Hey there, Joe," I replied flatly. I played with the handle of the door and asked him, "What brings you here to ruin this fine morning for me?" His facade cracked a little at my statement. I held back a smile. 

"You've been absent since your first day. I was sent to check up on you." He replied coyly leaning towards the door. I took a small step back, he noticed that. "I've decided to stop working at your institution. I wonder why?" I replied. He took another step forward and was practically standing directly in front of my door. "Why don't we discuss the reason over a cup of coffee, I'm dying for one. You mind?" He pushed, I cursed under my breath and gave him a tight-lipped smile. I had a blinding feel of nostalgia. 

I hit my head softly against my front door after closing it behind me. He already knew where to go. I reached for the coffee maker and plugged it in. "So why did you stop?" He asked again. I knew not to test the waters but I could not help my tongue. "Why do you care?" He laughed. I mean, he let out a noise from his throat that was supposed to be his laugh. It brought chills down my spine. "I don't really." He muttered and motioned to the machine which had stopped whirring. I scoffed and brought out two mugs. I could use a coffee too. 

"How'd you like your coffee?" I asked, placing the mug in front of him and reaching for the milk and sugar. "Black." He replied and took a sip directly out of it. I tried to hide my surprise. "Why did you leave?" He questioned and looked at me. I mean, like scrutinizing type of look. 

I stirred my coffee after adding the desired quantity of milk and sugar. "I didn't want to see you, ever again," I said and made eye contact with him. He looked away immediately. I took a sip out of my coffee and added, "Plus, I did you a favour." 

He looked at me, "What could you possibly mean by that?" He questioned. I chuckled under my breath and stood up. I walked to where he sat and stared, "Imagine this, a day old intern at your company got harassed by a fellow employee, at her own home." I paused to see his expression. He had none. I gave him a small smile and walked back to where I sat, "That's what I thought." 

I took a big gulp of what was left of my coffee, I stood up to rinse my cup and I was ready to start my day. I was satisfied with the way I handled Joe. Serves him right. "Please, enjoy your coffee and show yourself out," I said and started to walk out. I stopped when I saw who was standing in front of me. I felt a cold hand on my shoulder as I relived a moment. He stared at me for a solid minute before darting his eyes to Joe who had finished up. He tilted his head as he stared at him. He walked into the kitchen fully and finally mumbled, "I know you."

My eyes widened at the statement Archer uttered. Did he remember? I stood there and stared at him for a while before moving to him. I stood a few steps away from him and muttered, "Arch?" He looked at me and drew in a sharp breath. He sighed and pulled me into a hug. Into a hug. A sigh escaped my lips as I felt his strong arms wrap around my waist, pulling me closer to him. His face was in the crook of my neck and his hot breath sent tingles down my spine. It was finally over, no more hurdles. 

Joe, on the other hand, was standing there awkwardly. He cleared his throat and brought Archer's attention to him. I felt Archer tense up before he pulled away from me abruptly. I watched as I saw him pull his hands into fists. I watched as I saw rage build up in Archer. He took a step and I rushed in front of him. I put a hand on his chest. His head tilted down and looked at my hand. He placed his hand on top of mine. "Don't." I started. I looked up at him, "He's not worth it." He pulled my hand off his chest, "Don't touch me." I frowned. 

Maybe, we still had one more hurdle to jump...