Chapter 8

ADAPTED

All Rights Reserved

©️ Emrys Noah 2021

BETILLA

I walked home that day, with the thought of Archer in my mind. He was totally different. That was the closest we've ever been. I pressed my finger gently on my lip where my cut was, where his lips were. I sighed when I closed the door behind me. Mae was probably in the bathroom. I dropped my books and started to get out of the day's clothes when Mae walked in. "Christ Betilla, have some dignity. I need not see your titties out!" She exclaimed in an awful British accent. I only smacked her and then my mind started to wander to a particular person. I missed his voice, his sweet British voice. I missed his nickname for me, Betty. 

I snapped out of my trance to find Mae looking at me as if I had grown two heads spontaneously. "What?" I asked even though I knew what she was going to get at. "Bee, are you thinking of him?" She asked. I had no choice but to nod, I didn't want to lie to my best friend. She started to talk but I beat her to it. "Mae, I know what you're going to say. I know he hasn't done anything for me ever. But Mae, I feel he's changed. He let me in today. That's a first right." She didn't utter anything about the subject again. I was glad.

We spent the rest of the night preparing for the competition on Saturday. It was on our main subjects. I was picked because I was good at Biology, Mae, Chemistry, Kayden, Mathematics and Anne, Physics. Plus, we all knew the English Language. Mae and I crashed very late and surprisingly woke up early for school the next day.

THURSDAY

The sun peeked at me through the thin window blinds and smiled. As if on cue, my alarm came on and Mae's grumbling followed. We had just two days left in the UK. I started to leave my bed when I noticed a notification on my phone. I looked at the sender and my heart started beating twice the normal rate. It was a message from, you guessed it, Archer. I wanted to open it but I decided to do that when I was in school. In his sight. So I closed my phone and headed to the bathroom to get ready. I was surprised at Mae because she was oddly ready. I didn't even have to shout at her to brush her hair. 

We had time to get breakfast at the cafeteria. Mae and I walked with Anne and Kayden who seemed to be closer than ever. I was happy for them. We entered the cafeteria and grabbed food trays. We had to use our school's ID to get food. Mae and I rarely grabbed breakfast. We all sat at one table and ate our food with a random conversation about something stupid. "Yo, guys! We need to prep for the comp on Sat." I mentioned. Then looked at the time. "We have to hurry. How about we meet in Mae and I's room tonight?" I said while standing. They all followed suit. 

We all went our separate ways after homeroom. I started walking to class when I felt my phone buzz in my pocket. I reached for it and saw another message. I opened it, it read

We need to talk.

Betty...

I felt his gaze on me and looked up and saw him looking directly at me. He looked vulnerable. 

I'm here.

I replied and I watched him look at his phone. A small smile etched its way onto his face. The sound of the bell brought me into reality, I was going to be late if I continued standing there like a douche while staring at Archer. I looked back at him to find him gone. Great! I started to walk to my class until I felt a pair of arms grab my waist and hoist me to a hard rock body. "Skip class with me?" His alluring voice whispered in my ear. He left a chaste kiss on my neck and left. I was torn between attending the class which I would pay no attention to, and skipping class with Archer. I definitely wanted the latter so I did. 

I felt my phone buzz and I whipped it out to see, "Library, same spot." I felt giddy as I walked to the library. The librarian wasn't there yet so I didn't have to explain why I wasn't in class. I walked to the section we stayed in the previous day. I stopped when I saw his hooded head. He knew I stopped so he stood up and started walking towards me. I dropped my bag and tiptoed away from him. He chuckled at my attempt to hide. I heard his loud footsteps behind me. I went in the opposite direction but he was smarter than me. I let out a little squeal when I felt his strong arms hold mine. "Gotcha." He deadpanned. 

I walked to him and leaned in for a hug. He seemed to want the same so he pulled me in for one. He sighed and kissed my hair. I closed my eyes and leaned into his embrace until I felt his hand on my cheek. "You're so cute." He whispered and kissed my cheek. There he goes again with the compliments. I smiled at him and looked at his lips. I stared back at his eyes but his gaze was on my lips. Our faces neared each other and the tension between us was thick and unavoidable. He pressed his forehead against mine, his breathing was heavy. 

"I'm sorry," he whispered before pressing his lips against mine. I felt a small spark of pain from my cut but it was masked by the pleasure I derived from the kiss. We were actually kissing! Our lips collided with passion. His hands rushed to my waist giving me a rush of déjà vu. Back to when we kissed in the Janitor's closet. Back to when we kissed in his room where he threw me away and regretted the kiss. I pulled away suddenly from what had turned into a makeout session. He looked confused as he stared at me. As if on cue, the librarian walked into where we were.