Chapter 3

ADAPTED

All Rights Reserved

©️ Emrys Noah 2021

ARCHER 

I could feel the scowl etch its way to my face as I parked my car in the parking lot. Henry's bickering did not help either. He made one thing clear, the students in the student exchange program were arriving today. He wouldn't shut up about it. "I wonder what they're like," Henry announced. "Will they be like-" I cut him off, "Shut," I said gripping my head. "The fuck up." He still didn't seem to get the message as he went on to say, " I hope one is in my class." I left him. It was hopeless. I didn't last up to five minutes before Henry plastered himself to me. "Where's Venus?" I asked. He shrugged. Venus was running late. 

The first period was hell as always. The students couldn't keep their toilets closed for half a second and the teacher couldn't keep his hands away from his little area down there if you know what I mean. The bell rang and I dismissed myself, making my way to the chemistry laboratory. Little did I know, I was walking into detention. I turned in the direction of the lab when I spotted Venus. I rushed to meet her. "Venus, hey, you were late today, are you fine?" I rushed out. She only laughed at me and pinched my cheeks. "I'm quite alright Archer. I'm late for bio by the way." And she left. I watched her retreating figure. Something was wrong with her. Worry started to seep into my being as I walked to the chem lab but stopped when I saw the hallway littered with notes.

You have got to be fucking kidding me,  of all the people to transfer her. It just had to be her. Fucking hell. She looked so surprised to see me too. Her gaze didn't leave mine. She held the notes tightly to her small body. She looked so fragile. There was so much sadness in her eyes, she was broken and I felt my heart move. All the worry I had for Venus vanished into thin air. I analysed her frame. She had lost so much weight which made her look hella sexy. I felt drawn to her like a moth to a flame. I could bet she felt the same too judging the way she was looking at me. She made to attempt to move and neither did I. Until, I heard the approaching footsteps of the hall office First, she catches me off balance and then detention? Great!

She tried to butt in but I shunned her. I definitely did not want her help. I made my way to chem class as soon as possible. Moments later, she struts in with the principal. I was freaked out at first, thinking she reported me or something. But then the teacher introduced her as a student and she sat in front of me. Like if I look up at the board, I stare directly at her. The way she looked, I couldn't help but stare. For the class activity, we were given chemical equations to balance. I had difficulty in one. With Betty, there was no equation to stay in balance. See what I did there...

I paid zero attention to my classes before lunch. Even Henry bickering didn't move me. Betty was in the U.K. Attenind my school, in my class. I left my freaking parents behind because of her, and now she's here. It made all my efforts feel pointless. During lunch, I acted as if it was a normal day, trying to get her out of my mind but it didn't seem to be working and fate seemed to want the opposite. She was my seat partner for my last class. Honestly, curse my school for not acknowledging a thing called personal space. I almost forgot how fresh air smelt like because of her intoxicating scent. It was doing wonders to my body. She was making me lose my mind and she had no fucking clue. 

Why did I give her my notes? Part of me wanted a reason to talk to her again but I do not want that. I don't want to establish a relationship with her, I don't want to love her. I walked to the detention room after dropping my books in my locker and telling Venus that I'd check up on her later. Unluckily, I was the only being in detention that day. So I sat down with my thoughts. Trying to analyse my current situation. I left her behind because I didn't want to admit my feelings for her. If I do, she'll start a relationship, I'd start a relationship and I don't want it. I don't want an entitlement with her. I'm afraid she'll hurt me. She was so quick to fall out of love with Lance and what's stopping her from doing the same to me? My first girlfriend really messed me up. 

Betty is beautiful, smart and funny. We are opposites but I needed someone that complemented me. I knew deep down, Betty was the best fit. She's perfect for me but I'm not for her. I'll lie to her, break promises, break her trust and it'll hurt me to do those to her. But I can't help it, that's why it's better to stay away from her and everything. That's why I feel this exchange between us is a bad idea. The takeaway from this, my plan is to avoid both our hearts being broken. It's better a broken heart than two.

I ended up sleeping till detention ended. I had a blinding headache. I made my way to my car and started driving home. I parked my car in the driveway and noticed Arielle's car wasn't there. She wasn't home yet, meaning no dinner. I sighed and walked into the house, I had a really hard day. And it was just Monday, I didn't want to imagine how stressful the week would be. I took a very relaxing shower and walked out of the bathroom with my towel around my waist. I picked up my phone and dialled Venus' number. She had me worried for a moment. I got dressed as we spoke on the call. I ended the call to order dinner. Venus just had a stressful weekend, which was the opposite for me. After ordering dinner, I called my mom to check up on her. She was always ranting about how I don't call her. She told me all that happened after I left. How Betty was dressed in her pyjamas when she received the letter. She told me how torn she looked. 

"Got to go now mom, dinner's here." I ended the call. I paid the delivery guy and started setting up. Arielle texted me saying, she would be home in five. Of course she lied, ten minutes went by before I heard her car pull up in the driveway. She shut the door with a loud slam. "Hey Ari, I know you love breakfast for dinner." 

"You made some?" I could sense the excitement in her voice. 

"No but I ordered pizza," I said and smiled at her. She sprinted towards me and I dodged her before she could smack me. I burst out laughing. We ended up watching a movie while eating pizza. It was kind of like a bonding moment. Ari was smart, she knew all about the reason I moved here and I didn't mind, she could end up helping me with my relationship issues. "I saw her in school today," I mumbled. She paused the movie and looked at me, "You mean Betty?" I nodded. "How are you feeling?" I looked away from her, "Like an idiot, I left my parents behind because of her presence and now it seems like fate hates me cause I can't seem to get her off my fucking mind." I yelled. Ari moved closer to me, "Arch, why don't you give it a try?" I gave a look that said NO. 

I pressed play and continued the movie. Then Ari started laughing uncontrollably. "What?" I asked, and she looked at me only to burst out laughing again. "Spill." I pressed. She said, " You were once a little kid." She was such an idiot. "Nope, I don't recall that." I played along and this time she ended up successfully smacking me. I loved her, she always knew how to make me smile. I looked at the time and realised I hadn't done my school work. I excused myself and made my way to my room. I locked the door and took a long sigh. I was overwhelmed. I tried to get some work done for the rest of the night. I was successful in doing that but not in getting her off my mind, it was too much.

AN

I'm sorry, this isn't the usual length, I couldn't write 2000 words for Archer's POV. I was having difficulty in portraying how I see him in my head. I hope you enjoy it, more updates soon.