Chapter 22

ADAPTED

All Rights Reserved

©️ Emrys Noah 2021

ARCHER

I walked down her porch and made it into my car. I couldn't process what just happened. Tears were coming to my eyes, I didn't know why. He had kissed her and she just stood there. I tried to hold back the tears as I got behind the wheel. I started the engine and drove away from her house, away from her. I was heading somewhere, I didn't know where. Images of them kept on flashing through my eyes and I hated it. It made me feel this weird hurtful feeling. It was worse than that of Mildred. It was heartbreak.

I kept on driving in a straight line, I avoided any turns. I wiped the tears that escaped from my eyes furiously. They blurred my vision but I kept on going. My phone was going crazy with texts from Betty. I ignored them. I took my first turn when I saw a bare stretch of land. I groaned when I got once again another, 'I'm worried, I can explain' message from Betty. I scoffed and tossed my phone to the back of my car.

I walked through the tiny footpath to the land. I realised it was beautiful. The sun was shining brightly and it had a really good view. It was just relaxing to see. I felt at peace, just like I'd be if I was looking at Betty. That was a stab in my chest and it hurt so I screamed. I really screamed. You know all those epic screams in the movies where the birds in the trees fly away, yeah, that kind of scream. I stopped when I realised how quiet my surroundings were. I was emotionally tired.

I sat down on the surprisingly cool sand. I laid down and looked at the blue skies. Why didn't she do anything? Most importantly, who the fuck was he? I may have overreacted actually. I recalled how things went down. I basically told her I didn't trust her, was she hurt? Did she still want to talk to me? The calls and texts prove that. I didn't realise how much time flew by until the hue of the sky changed. My stomach grumbled reminding me that I hadn't eaten all day.

I had taken time to cool down some steam and I wasn't ready to end things with Betty. There's got to be an explanation for all this. She's not like Mildred. I was ready to meet her so I stood up, or at least tried to. I stumbled to my feet, I was really weak. I managed to drag myself to my car and I got in. It was getting dark and my vision was not the best at that moment. I got into my car and started heading home. All of a sudden, I had a blinding headache.

And for some unknown reason, the street lights were off. I sighed as I started to get dizzy. I ran and hand through my hair. My eyelids felt heavy and it was difficult to keep them open. I felt my entire body become heavy. My leg pressed harder on the accelerator. I heard my phone buzzing in the back. How was it not dead yet? I realised it could be Betty calling. So I reached for it. It was still buzzing and I struggled to get a hold of it. "Fuck it," I said under my breath and turned around to grab it, not knowing I didn't stop at the red light. I only realised this when a car tumbled into the side of my car. The impact was so hard, my car was thrown up and it fell down with a bang. My head hit the ground and I felt a thunderous pain course through it.

Unfortunately, I wasn't using my seatbelt. I felt the airbag blow up in my face and it almost knocked me out. My vision was spinning. I felt pain everywhere and the dang phone was still buzzing! Cars had gathered around me and I heard someone yell, "Call 911!" I sighed and tried to move but it hurt. Suddenly, it was difficult to breathe. I heaved as I tried to catch my breath but it was no use. I blacked out.