Chapter 9

ADAPTED

All Rights Reserved

©️ Emrys Noah 2021

BETILLA

THURSDAY

The librarian looked at me for the longest time before turning her gaze to Archer who seemed interested in the hardwood floor. Probably wondering what shade of brown it was. "What are you two doing in here? You don't have the first period?" She finally asked. Archer looked at her with an unreadable expression before he finally replied, "We were about to read a book, in a library, ever heard of it before?" Her jaw dropped before she scoffed and walked away. I frowned at Archer. He was rude to her and it made me recall how he treated me. He started walking towards me when I held my hand out. He rose an eyebrow.

He seemed to understand what I was getting at and sighed. "Betty, we would have got in trouble if I didn't do that. Remember, we are skipping class after all." He said and he was right. I nodded and said, "Can you at least tell her you did not mean it that way when we leave?" I looked up at him into his intriguing eyes. He closed them for a while and then nodded, he looked pained. I walked up to him and held his hand, his head tilted down to look at our linked hands. "Thank you," I whispered. 

We walked back to our normal section when he spoke up, "About that kiss-" I cut him off, "I'm sorry, I hesitated. I didn't know if you actually wanted the kiss or if you want me." I ranted. He didn't reply as we sat down. "Let's get some reading done. I don't skip class to be lazy." He muttered and got a book out. I frowned at him because he was avoiding me again. Nevertheless, I decided to get a headstart in reading too. I kept glancing at him to see if he'd be staring at me like he normally would but he seemed immersed in his book. 

The bell rang and dragged me out of my trance and I stood up abruptly to get to the next class. I had skipped my first and I didn't want trouble. I started to leave when Archer held me back. We meet here after school tomorrow?" He asked, and I nodded. At first, I was relieved that he was talking to me. We walked out of the library together but I held him back, clearing my throat when we passed the librarian. 

He frowned at me before trudging himself over to her stand. I couldn't make out what he said, but he seemed to form a small smile on her features. I was glad. He joined me back and muttered, "You're lucky it's you." And he left.

I made my way quickly to my next class, trying to push him out of my mind. We actually kissed, and it kept replaying in my mind. I was the idiot to stop, but I stopped just in time because we would have got in trouble. I didn't want it to stop though. I ended up sitting in the back to avoid the attention of the teacher. To be honest, I paid zero attention to the class. I was only physically present. I even ignored Mae's texts telling me to stop thinking of him. 

After that class, I received a scolding from Mae on the topic, Archer. I sighed as I continued the normal day. During lunch, same old stupid conversation and during class, same old non-attentive me. Sometimes, I wondered how I passed my classes. The day ran out quickly and I hurried to the dorm with Mae. "Wait, aren't you tutoring Archer today?" She asked. I shook my head. "Thank God, 'cause we're behind in the revision." I only chuckled. " We'll do well Mae. The comp is still a day away." She scoffed. "It'll sneak up on you Bee, we got to study now."

Anne and Kayden retired to Mae and I's dorm and we all sat on the floor with several books open. The floor was also riddled with flashcards of various sorts. We did some serious reading and we only stopped when we all started to doze off. Mae turned off first, followed by Anne. Kayden and I were the last. 

I helped Kayden take Anne to their dorm and returned to mine to find Mae making awful snores which always made it difficult for me to fall asleep. I sighed and turned off the lights. I grabbed my headphones and put them on. I listened to Powfu's new EP. 'Tell me your feelings I won't tell you mine.' That was the predicament I was in with Archer. 

I started to doze when my phone buzzed. I was too sleepy to check it out. I turned off too. 

AN

I'm sorry this is so short, I have the next chapters planned out and I can't write any more on this. Stay tuned. PS next chap is in Archer's POV