chapter 22

(Authors note: hi. wow. i didn't think it would take me so long to write a 5,800 chapter. it doesn't even feel that long when you read it! trigger warning for the usual. enjoy. (side note, everything i said about recovery girl isn't confirmed, i think. i don't know if those are actual aspects of her quirk, i just need the story to involve more spice lollll.))

Bakugou continued with his usual routine that day, waking up early, ignoring his urge to lie in his bed all day and mope in silence. He proceeded with his working out and showering, like he had grown accustomed to, but he had a goal in his mind that nobody needed to know of: he was testing his theories, and he was hoping to get it done within the week.

It was Thursday, so he had hero training, right? If so, then it would be a good day to eat some breakfast, meaning, he could make some toast and try the bread theory. With more and more thought, he was seriously doubting that theory, it was too impractical. It wasn't as if two slices of bread would improve his mood to such a scale, although he did understand that eating bread released dopamine chemicals.

He exited his room at a normal time, but what didn't feel normal was the fact he was actually going down for breakfast. It just seemed so alien to the boy considering he had neglected to do so for months on end.

He entered the large kitchen and went over to collect some toast. As he sat down on a table, hoping to eat the bread quickly and get the process over with, he noticed the feeling of eyes on his body, roaming around. Unfortunately, he instantly knew it was a new fear conjuring in his mind. Quite obviously the fear of eating in front of people.

The blonde boy turned his head and scanned the room with suspicion clear in his intense glare. Yet, although he could still feel the judging eyes all over his body, he couldn't see a single person paying attention to him.

Head turned back to the toast in his hands, he slowly munched on the bread whilst pondering how to deal with the irritating, uncomfortable feeling of being judged. It made him feel the urge to stop eating and run away.

Sulking slightly, Katsuki sat in place, chewing the bit of bread in his mouth over and over to coax the feeling of discomfort to go away (it was already out of his comfort zone to eat breakfast anyways). But before he could register it in his brain, he heard a shout of "Bakubro!" and then, as if Kirishima was some sort of flash, the red head had rushed over to where Katsuki was sitting and had sat right beside him.

The blonde had flushed a subtle pink as he turned his head slightly, and swallowed the bread in his mouth to say, "Hey, shitty hair." He still felt a lingering sense of guilt for the day before, and his uncalled-for daydream.

The red head answered in earnest with a big smile on his face, "What's up?!"

With a half full mouth, Katsuki mumbled a, "I'm good, what bout you?"

Kirishima smiled even more, "Wow! It's not every day you bother with small talk Bakubro, is anything different today?"

Katsuki placed his toast on his plate to answer, "Can't say much, but today is kinda special." That's right, he was trying 2 of his theories today, and despite the constant state of unhappiness Katsuki was always in, he was excited to test out his bread and company theory.

Kirishima let one of his hands creep up to his face to hold his chin in wonder as he said, "What a way to keep me on my toes, huh?"

"Mhm, I guess." Katsuki replied hoping his dry response would indicate he wasn't in the mood to talk, as he was trying to finish his toast.

Kirishima let the conversation die from there on, keeping Katsuki company as he silently stayed beside him, just being there. But even so, the minimum of Kirishima being there was a relief, the way he felt like he was being constantly watched died down slightly, but at the same time, Katsuki grew scared of Kirishima judging him for eating... What if he looked like a fat piggy shoving the food down his throat to the red head?