Chapter 24

Chapter 24

"This is a free period," Ms. Noris said, "but I highly recommend that you pair up and study for midterms."

I put the side of my head down and closed my eyes. Wayne threw his book on the table and I flinched.

"The fuck, Anderson?" I groaned.

"Is something wrong?" He smirked down at me. I sat up and covered my face with my hands.

"Can you not slam your things on the desk?"

"I'll slam you on the desk," Wayne grumbled.

"What?"

"Wayne." A small voice said.

I looked up and saw a bubbly little freshie with straight flat hair standing in front of us. She wore a brand new Jansport backpack and held a pencil case with markers of every color.

"Yeah," Wayne glanced down at the personalized beaded bracelet, "Marie?"

"Could we be partners?" She smiled bashfully.

He squinted and bit the side of his cheek, then nodded kindly. "Sure."

"Great!" Marie giggled. She turned to me and her peppy spirit disappeared. "Do you mind?"

I got taken back by her dramatic change. "Excuse me?"

"Me and Wayne need to sit together in order to work together," Marie explained to me as if I was her age. "So if you could move, that would be great."

I pointed to a seat directly next to Wayne. "I mean, there is one right-"

"Marie," Wayne intervened, "let's just go up there." He pointed to a desk in the next row. She nodded eagerly and turned around, but not without giving me a little glare.

Wayne looked at me wide-eyed. Thank god he didn't believe that thing was real.

"Oh my god!" I mouthed to him. While standing, Wayne put his lips to my ear.

"Freeman, who let this little unicorn demon in here?" He whispered. I tried biting my lip to control my laughter, but it was no use.

I got to work on my english instead of my history because all I have to do is finish Moby Dick and write an essay about it. This will be easy because this book, surprisingly, has a lot of depression in it, which is my speciality.

"Bethany," Ms. Noris called out to me. "We have an uneven amount of students so you'll work alone for today."

"That's fine," I answered. I was afraid she would put me in a group.

Marie scoffed and I braced myself for the insult. "Go figure no one wants to be with you."

"I would rather be alone than try to charm someone into working with me who has a grade average that's three times higher than mine."

Wayne let out a small chuckle, but I didn't even try to hide my snickers.

Marie pouted. "Are you laughing at me?"

"Yeah, I am," I said through a sigh. That shut her up.

~

Ms. Noris dismissed us soon after. When most of the students had cleared out, Wayne came to my seat.

"I am done for today." He let out a long exhale and ran his fingers through his dark hair.

"Why did you agree to be with Marie?" I shook my head and smiled, packing my bag in the process.

"I just wanted to be nice." Wayne rubbed his temples. "Honestly, now I regret it."

"Aw, it's okay, Anderson." I put my backpack pack on.

"I have never wanted that bell to ring more," he said, leaning against the wall. I pouted, my eyes full of pity.

"You need something to cheer you up?" I stood next to him, my voice low. Wayne twisted his lips and straightened his back.

He leaned down to my level, his soft breath on my ear. "Friday?"

"My house," I replied. "Eleven?"

"Can't wait." The happiness in his voice was unmistakable. I bit my lip as Wayne walked away.

~

"I'm changing classes," Ruby rambled. Her and I are at her house, cleaning out her ice cream stash. "Mr. Flatly is on my last nerve. All I did was talk back once and he brought me to the front and asked the class if I was being disrespectful."

"And what did they say?" I ate a spoonful of rainbow sherbert.

Ruby smirked. "No one raised their hands, no one said anything," she explained. "He stood up there and looked like an idiot."

I lift my pint of ice cream up to her in salute. She gives a little bow and walks around the kitchen.

"I'm gonna go to the principal and ask her to switch. Maybe I can move to your history class!"

I pushed my lips together so I wouldn't spit. If Ruby joins my class, she might find out about Wayne and me. And she will mention it every once in a while to make me paranoid until the point I tell her everything. Ruby has a gift for getting information out of people.

"Hopefully," I said in exchange for my nervous thoughts. I jump up on the counter and cross my legs.

Ruby stepped closer to me. "I have a secret," she whispered.

"Spill." I leaned in and a grin spread across my face.

"Rogue," she looked over her shoulder, "is dating someone."

My jaw dropped. Rogue texts the group chat 4 seconds after he gets into a relationship. This is so unlike him.

"Why didn't he say anything?" I beg for more details.

"I don't know much, but he doesn't know I know."

"How did you find out?"

"Rogue doesn't have a lock on his phone." Ruby snorted. "Dumbass."

"What was the name?" I ate more sherbert.

"He didn't have a contact for them." She set down her ice cream.

"What's the number then?" I whipped out my phone.

"I didn't have time to write it down."

I rolled my eyes. "Some detective you are."

"Sorry!" Ruby raised her hands in defense. "I'll figure out next time."

"It's okay," I sighed and gave her a reassuring smile. We switched our desserts and talked for a little while longer.

Rogue has been single for about two months. His last boyfriend had a secret girlfriend. When Rogue found out, he slept with her. They did it for a couple weeks, then his boyfriend walked in on them. Rogue told me, in too much detail, they had a threesome that lasted 4 hours. They broke up after that.

Now that Rogue is dating someone new, what crazy shit will happen this time?

I'm sorry this is a short, and very late, chapter. But the next one won't disappoint you;)

Until I write again,

~B