Chapter 1: Terrible Trio

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

𝖂𝖍𝖊𝖓  Alina and I were young, she was always afraid of the dark. Not once did I ever let it scare me. I had to be everything she needed, face any enemy that would harm her. Even now that we're older, I would still fight every monster in Ravka to keep her safe.

My twin once said, "Svetlana, I know that when we were children I was afraid of the dark. When I got older, I learned that darkness is a place, and it's full of monsters." It had been right after we drew our first depiction of the Fold. I remember thinking that the real monsters rarely limit themselves to the darkness. In most cases, the worst of the worst are clothed in gold and sunlight.

Alina and I live in East Ravka, but we've never been welcome here because we look too much like our mother, and she looked like the enemy. Even now riding with our fellow cartographers, the prejudice persists.

My twin and I are working on another drawing of the Fold when one of our friends asks, "Alina, Lana, how can you both do that in here?"

I don't even glance up but Alina turns to the boy and responds, "Bumps help with texture."

Our friend leans in towards me and comments, "The Fold looks different on mine."

Another cartographer, whom I actually punched in the nose before, whispers, "I need to get a better view from your country."

That causes me to pause in my sketching and glance up. Before I have a chance to even solidify my glare, our friend quickly jerks his head towards the bully and exclaims, "They grew up here. Come on!"

Not one to back down, the other boy continues, "The Shu Han didn't want them either."

Icy gaze never wavering, I snap, "Remember the last time you made a comment like that? I would hope so since your nose never healed quite right, did it?"

Alina quickly grabs hold of my hand and locks eyes with me. She shakes her head once and I know her well enough to read her thoughts. I cannot afford to get into another fight. She's right. It's not the time or the place. A brawl would negatively affect Alina and he isn't even worth the effort. They're boys. Save the energy for the real monsters.

As if the universe agrees with me, the head cartographer speaks - leaving me no option to continue arguing even if I wanted to. She says, "Cartographers, listen up. We're almost there. Pack up and be ready to leave. And if you lose anything, you will not be getting a replacement."

My sister and I share one more look before we begin to load up our gear. Our connection as twins once again allows me a quasi glimpse into her mind. The only way out is through.

After the caravan stops, we all file out and catch our first look at the Fold. Most portray it as a giant black inkblot cutting Ravka in two. Gazing at it now, I can see how true that is. Billowing shadows streaked with an eerie blue lightning reach far up into the sky, no end in sight. To me, it resembles an angry sieging storm cloud pulled straight from someone's nightmare. I may not have a fear of the dark but staring at it does stir something akin to terror within me. Cold. Yet, oddly enough my blood seems to vibrate at the sight of it.

Our friend walks up behind us and I hear him say, "We are never going to see it go away. This abomination is here forever."

Another cartographer comes to stand beside Alina, who is still staring up at the Fold. With more confidence than I believe she has, she responds, "You don't go to church. A Saint who can summon the sun will destroy it."

The boy with the crooked nose glances briefly at her before saying, "I'd like to see even one person who isn't scared of that."

Turning around, the blond replies, "I bet I know someone. Mal. He isn't afraid of anything."