Chapter 5: Fools and Follies

*Unedited

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

𝕱𝖎𝖛𝖊 skiffs are being loaded up. Each carries certain types of goods to trade. I scan over them to ensure everything is going smoothly before making my way onto the third. We decided that I would travel in the middle of the caravan to better protect us should the situation arise.

I doubt anything will, as I plan to make a show of power. No volcra could pierce my light tunnel.

Fedyor glides to my side and nods once, signaling that we are ready to depart.

So I lift a hand. A horn goes off at my command.

Crews of men on the ground push the skiffs into the colorless sand. They step back quickly right before the Squallers lift their arms and send a steady flow of wind into the sails.

A loud snap follows as our skiffs surge forward into the Fold.

The familiar thick cloud of smoke swirls around me. Though sound dampens and the world is still, somehow it feels like going home. Almost like the darkness is embracing me like an old friend. At this point, it's my oldest friend, more familiar to me than the kefta covering me.

For a singular moment, I look back over my shoulder, just as I did on my first ever crossing. I see the living world disappear as darkness falls around us, black, weightless, and absolute.

Back then, I thought I was standing at the end of everything. At the time, however, I did not realize that it was only the beginning. Now, I can't help but feel like it is both an ending and a beginning: a snake eating its own tail.

I wonder what the girl I used to be would think of this life? Would she rejoice? Weep?

With a sigh, I realize it matters not.

For I am no longer that girl.

So without another thought, I face forward and lift my arms. The power of the stag and the sea whip flows through me. As I separate my hands, the darkness of the fold shifts outwards like a curtain but it still lingers around us. Then with a booming clap, light of all different colors burst forth from me. It swirls in waves, forming a tunnel through the Fold.

Gaps and sounds of awe float through the air. I pay them no mind.

With the aid of my light, the journey takes no time at all. Soon I can make out the outskirts of Novokribirsk.

When we exit the safety of my tunnel, I release my power, letting the darkness collapse upon itself.

I take a look at the town that I saved. They adjusted quickly. Where the first buildings used to be there is now a large docking area for skiffs, including several watchtowers. It's as though the whole village has just shifted back to accommodate the new boundary of the Fold.

This time, we are not greeted by an army prepared to attack us. Instead, a welcome party stands ready. At its center is a man, not much older than myself. I take my time leaving the skiff and sauntering up to him.

He bows once before straightening and meeting my eyes, "We are honored to have you in Novokribirsk, Miss Starkov. I am General Roman. It is a pleasure to meet the famous Star Summoner."

Well, at least he handles himself better than the colonel. I twitch one corner of my lips into a half-smile, "The honor is all mine, general. We have much to discuss, shall we?"

The man nods once and sweeps an arm out to signal me to follow him. I do so and my guards fall into line behind me. We are led into a large tent emblazoned with gray, blue, and gold. Only Ivan and Fedyor enter with me.