Chapter 1: Confessions and Capabilities

*Unedited

*Might make a spicy version of this one... tbd

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

𝕬𝖑𝖊𝖐𝖘𝖆𝖓𝖉𝖊𝖗'𝖘 voice seems to echo around me, "Well, miss Starkov... so much for no more lies."

"Do not 'miss Starkov' me," I growl. "Or are you not above such pettiness?"

"You betrayed me, Svetlana."

I sit up straighter, "Technically, I did not lie, only omitted some details. I know you probably view it as the same thing but the important fact is that I never intended to betray you."

The Darkling scoffs, "And yet you did."

"Then I saved your life."

"Which only needed saving because you helped your sister," Aleksander replies.

I almost laugh, "What else was I supposed to do? Sit back and let you slaughter everyone I care about?"

My lover scowls, "If you actually cared about me then you would stop fighting me."

I hiss and narrow my eyes, "Watch yourself, Aleksander. Those are manipulative and toxic words. I will not take the bait."

The Darkling groans and runs a hand through his jet black hair. "You are the most infuriating person I know."

"Thank you."

He sighs and succeeds at tousling his hair into a wild mess.

In a small voice, I whisper, "You promised me that you would try."

"I am trying, Lana."

"You call that slaughter trying?" I scoff.

So much blood. So much death.

My hands tightly grip my thighs, as to hide their shaking. I say, "If we want to sit here and argue about betrayal then sure, alright. You promised me that we would make Ravka better without bloodshed and cruelty. So you broke your word first."

Aleksander replies, "I said I would try."

I wave a hand, "Don't play coy, it's not a good look on you, oh ancient one."

"Fine, I could have handled that differently," the Darkling admits. "But this is all I have known for countless lifetimes. I don't know any other path than force."

While standing, I answer, "Then let's find a different one together."

He reaches out and gently takes my hand in his, pulling me closer to him. "What do you suggest, Lana?"

I move to stand between his legs, "We find a compromise."

"Continue."

"You get to rule Ravka with me at your side. No more lies, omissions, or betrayals," I propose. "We do not hunt down Alina unless she makes moves to fight against you. And I ask that you remember that you are fighting for a better Ravka. To do so, you must also be better. You're more than the cruel Shadow Prince, it's time to be a King."

Aleksander hums and remains silent for a long moment. Then his thumb strokes my palm and he asks, "You're too kind, Lana. I fear that your heart will one day be your doom. Are your terms negotiable?"

I raise an eyebrow sassily, "If you are asking me to care less, I will not put aside my morals for anything or anyone, not even you."

"I suspected as much," the Darkling sighs. Then his slate-gray eyes meet mine, the intensity within startling me. "Even I have limits to what I am willing to give up. But hear me now, when it comes to you there are no limits, no boundaries, nothing I would not do to keep you by my side."