Chapter 13: You Didn't

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

𝕿𝖍𝖊 next morning, my body ached pleasantly. And oddly enough, I felt more energized than ever before. Maybe this is what happens when a Grisha finally starts to embrace their power. Alina groans as she too stirs awake. While I get ready for the day, she sits on the bed, deep in thought as she rubs her scar.

A knock on the door makes me pause. I walk over and open the door, where Genya and a servant greet me. She walks in carrying two garment bags.

Alina jerks up and asks, "Have any letters arrived?"

When Genya says no, Alina sighs. Then the redhead places the garment bags on the bed, as well as one set of riding boots and pants.

"One of us is going horse riding?" I hum.

Genya nods towards Alina, "With General Kirigan."

My twin sighs, "I need to train, not be trotted around town. He should have asked you, Lana. You're already more ahead than me."

I nudge her a little and ignore my jealousy, "Don't say that, Lina. Go, enjoy yourself."

She shakes her head, "But the sooner we do what we need to do, the sooner we can get back to..."

"Your life?" Genya interrupts. "This is your life."

Alina looks away and sighs again, "Yeah, my life. Where Zoya is waiting to squall me into a wall or an open fire pit."

I scoff, "If she tries it again, I'll put her on her ass."

Genya laughs and says, "Well, you won't have the opportunity to, Svetlana. She's off the palace grounds. General Kirigan sent her away to reassess her priorities."

While I smile to myself, Genya starts to open the garment bags. She orders, "Come on, you don't want to keep him waiting."

Alina sits up straighter, "Saints forbid. Why? Is he angry?"

"This might do the trick," she responds as she lays out a black version of Alina's kefta.

My twin rubs the trim of it as she replies, "Black is his color. Not mine. I already told you this."

She then gets up to get dressed in her blue kefta. Genya shakes her head and turns to me. Gently she stores Alina's black kefta and lays out another one for me. It was almost identical to my sister's but instead of gold swirling rays of sunshine, it is embroidered with black, gold, and a strange silver that seems to shimmer with blue and purple.

I gasp and glance at Genya, "This is beautiful but did he make me a new blue one too?"

She smirks, "No, and I already had the servant take away your old one."

After I send her a faux glare, I get up to walk Alina to the door, "Have fun, little sister. Try not to fall off the horse."

My twin glares at me but leaves with a shake of her head.

I turn back towards Genya who holds out my kefta. Slowly, I slip it on and look at myself in the mirror. It feels right. I guess black really is my color.

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

When I walk into the hall for breakfast, a hush falls. I sit down with Marie and Nadia and lean over to them, "So, like the new look?"

They glance at each other and then Marie whispers, "No one has ever been permitted to wear a Darkling's colors."

I nod and start eating, "I know. I still don't think it's a big deal."