Chapter 8: New Adventure

*Unedited

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

𝕸𝖞 jaw is still open wide but it snaps closed before I mutter out a squeaky, "Are you serious? Or did I actually eat one of those moonflowers? Am I hallucinating?"

"No."

I stutter out, "No as in you aren't serious? Or no as in I am not hallucinating?"

The Darkling looks exasperated, in that particular way only I - or David - can accomplish. He sighs, "No, as in you are not hallucinating, Lana."

I nod and swallow, "Yes."

He tilts his head, "What was that?"

I hiss a bit but nod enthusiastically, "Yes, I'll marry you."

Aleksander rises and closes the distance between us. His hands find my face and pull me into a gentle heated kiss. When we separate, I feel fingers playing with the dagger in my hair. Then he lowers them down into my line of vision, revealing a ring that must have been tucked away within the stars. How did I miss that? It's a circular black onyx stone surrounded by one thin row of diamonds and then another layer of dots and rays of diamonds.

I raise an eyebrow, "An eclipse? Really?"

The Darkling laughs once, looking altogether too amused, "Yes, but also resembles a starburst. The Fabrikators thought it to be fitting, as did I."

"Of course, you would," I reply with a chuckle of my own.

"Do you not like it? I can have another one made?"

I quickly snatch the ring up, "No, it's perfect."

Aleksander laughs again and reaches out to gently take the ring from me. I almost don't let go, a tad bit afraid that it will disappear and this turns out to be nothing but a dream.

"You're sure about this, Lana? For there is no escaping me after this."

I smile, "I've never been more sure."

He slips the cool and heavy band onto my right ring finger.

"Then till death do us part," he whispers before pulling me into a bone-shattering kiss.

The Darkling pushes me back onto the bed, moonflowers cushion my fall. Through the haze of euphoria that fills me, a chilling thought worms its way into my brain: what if this is all just another one of his manipulations? But I push it away to focus on the man that is before me. The man that I know and trust far more than I probably should.

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

I make my way toward Ivan and Fedyor with pep in my step.

"What is with your absurdly chipper mood, Lana?" the latter asks.

My lips quirk into a mischievous smile and I purposely wave my right hand in a nonchalant way, more slowly than normal. Their eyes do not miss my new accessory.

"Did he really?" Ivan questions.

I grin and play dumb, "Who?"

Fedyor playfully shoves me, "The Darkling! Did he propose?"

I nod.

Ivan grunts, "About time."

I snort.

The duo perks up and Fedyor grabs my hand to look at the ring. He whistles, "I would hate to be the next person you punch."