Chapter 19: Faith

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

𝕬𝖋𝖙𝖊𝖗 retrieving some champagne, we are all feeling less nervous. Alina looks out the window to stare longingly towards the festivities.

"We have to go outside," she says suddenly.

"No," is Genya's firm response.

"Oh, come on, it's like Butter Week!" my twin complains.

I lean towards the redhead, "In Keramzin, noblemen would drive around carts with all kinds of cheeses and breads. Then they'd open their estates, put on carnivals with traveling troupes."

Alina nods enthusiastically, "Orphans weren't allowed, but Mal, Lana, and I used to sneak out."

"It's not safe. Somebody might recognize you," Genya replies.

"I can wear a scarf. Or a hat. Or two hats," begs my sister.

I shake my head at her with a small smile, "Only the people in the palaces know who we are. We could take off our keftas and no one will look twice at us."

Alina agrees with me, "Lana's right! Come on, can't we have this one thing before everything changes?"

With a sigh, Genya asks, "And what about them?"

We look towards the guards and I smirk, "Oh, I can handle this."

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

As we walk through the carnival, Genya asks me, "Where did you learn to be so commanding?"

I laugh and reply, "Well, I've always been a natural leader. Plus, I had to deal with my trouble-making sister."

Alina scoffs and shoves me a bit before I can continue, "And imitating Baghra gave me the final edge to convince the guards."

All three of us chuckle and then continue towards a stage. Genya grabs us and nervously says, "Okay, that's enough. Let's go back."

Before we can, Alina and I become focused on the performance in front of us. The announcer yells, "Ladies and gentlemen, I present Alina and Svetlana Starkov!"

Dramatic music begins to play as the dancers start their act. Two women, one in white and gold and another in white and blue-silver, are battling dancers dressed in black. Both girls are blonde Ravkans.

"Well, this is awkward," I mumble.

"Should I tell them?" Alina asks.

"Alina, no!" Genya and I gasp out as we grab hold of her.

The redhead shakes her head, "Not everyone knows what you look like. If we get caught here..."

A flash on stage distracts us for a moment and then I hear Fedyor's voice. Oh, no. Well, at least it's not Ivan.

He marches up to us, and with a surprisingly intimidating voice asks, "Genya! What were you three thinking?"

"It... it was my fault. I insisted," Alina defends.

I stare at him for a moment with a raised eyebrow. Then Fedyor laughs out, "I'm sorry, I was just trying my Ivan impression. How did I do?"

Immediately, I shove him and laugh, "Fedyor, you never told me how good of an actor you are!"

Genya nods, "Yeah, it was a little too convincing."

He loops his arm through one of mine, "Good. Intimidation is a useful tool. Now, let's hurry out of here because my better half might come looking."