Chapter 25: Wet-lipped Royals (1)

*Unedited

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

𝕬𝖑𝖊𝖐𝖘𝖆𝖓𝖉𝖊𝖗'𝖘 silence terrifies me. I don't feel my heart beating. I don't feel my eyes blinking. I don't feel the blanket beneath me. All I can feel is the emptiness growing the longer he takes to respond.

Finally, he does, When Luda was murdered right in front of me, I vowed never to give myself to someone ever again. I never told you that. It makes one weak.

My heart is breaking but I refuse to let him see how his words affect me. Before I can draw away from him, he continues, But you make me strong, Lana. And for you, I can promise that I will try.

Just like that, warm and fuzzy sensations take over. I slowly turn my head to the slide and bring my lips to his. Then I pull away.

That's all I ask.

What else has changed in the Little Palace?

I snuggle closer to him.

Not much. Alina and I spent hours preparing the Grisha pardon and signing countless documents guaranteeing funds and provisions for the outposts we hope to reestablish on Ravka's borders. I had to help my poor sister so much. To her the writing was confusing. We ended up being late for dinner - our first meal in the domed hall.

Did they listen to your command about mixing Orders?

Of course. I also added a new rule. New Grisha will dine with my sister and me at our table every night. Alina never really made an effort to get to know the Grisha beforehand. This way, we both can get to know more of them and avoid giving anyone an excuse to form a new elite. I did have to do most of the talking as my twin doesn't quite have my charm yet.

I bet you had no difficulty filling the silence.

No, but not many others found it so easy. The Grisha found it awkward to mix orders.

Do you have a count of your forces?

Exactly forty-six. Most of them are barely out of school but as Alina and I have proven, it does not matter how soon you start practicing Small Science as long as you have the drive to improve.

Quite right, moya zvezda.

We then discuss his whereabouts, plans, and other excursions these past weeks. At some point, it shifts from the official to just talking about ourselves. It feels right. Just holding each other, not a worry in the world. I just hope it lasts. We are both headstrong and trying to be better can only go so far when the cards are stacked against us.

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

I rise earlier than I would've wanted to. As co-leader of the Second Army, I am expected to see off the hunting party. So I do. The path to the palace gates by the double eagle fountain is swarming with people and horses. With a pleasant smile, I flit from person to person. I make conversation with as many as possible from Vasily and his aristocrat friends in their elaborate riding regalia to First Army officers in their sharp uniforms to even the servants in white and gold. It's exhausting, but luckily, I have a knack for getting all different types of people to like me. Up until my light show on the Fold, I never chose to actually try. Part of me misses those days.

While talking to a servant girl named Inessa, my gaze is drawn to Alina and Mal. They are impossible. It is glaringly obvious that they are in love with one another. Nikolai and I had hoped that they would learn. However, more interactions like this will definitely add up. They need to realize that here, you can always assume that at least one set of eyes is watching you at all times.