Chapter 19: Regicide

*Unedited

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

𝕬𝖘 the crowd of pilgrims grows, they become harder to control, and soon we are forced to ride in the coach. Some days Mal accompanies us, but usually, he chooses to ride outside, guarding the vehicle with Tolya and Tamar. I'm envious of his freedom. Being stuck in this lacquered little jewel box is no fun at all.

My only reprieve is the few times Nikolai joins us, usually on our way into or out of every village, so that we are seen arriving or departing together. He talks constantly. He is always thinking of some new thing to build—a contraption for paving roads, a new irrigation system, a boat that could row itself. He sketches on any piece of paper he can find, and each day he seems to have a new way to improve the next version of the Hummingbird.

I eagerly provide input. A random schematic I read once here and there for ideas. Correcting flawed logic. Sometimes even drawing full pieces for his designs. We work together extremely well and enjoy it to Alina's ire.

The only conversations my twin partakes in are ones relating to the third amplifier or the Darkling. Nikolai doesn't recognize the stone arch in the illustration either, and no matter how long we squint at the page, Sankt Ilya isn't giving up his secrets. But that doesn't stop the prince from speculating endlessly on possible places to start hunting the firebird or questioning us about the Darkling's new power.

"We're about to go to war together," he says. "In case you've forgotten, the Darkling's not particularly fond of me. I'd like us to have every advantage we can get."

"Grisha can only use and alter what already exists," my sister replies. "True creation is a different kind of power. Baghra called it 'the making at the heart of the world.'"

"And you think that's what the Darkling is after?"

"Maybe. I don't know. We all have limits, and when we push them, we tire. But in the long term, using our power makes us stronger. It's different when the Darkling calls the nichevo'ya. I think it costs him." Alina describes the strain that had shown on the Darkling's face, his fatigue. "The power isn't feeding him. It's feeding on him."

Both of them grow silent and then turn to me. Saints, why me? Oh right, I'm the Darkling's fake ex-girlfriend.

I shrug, "You're mostly correct, Alina. The nichevo'ya are not formed from normal Grisha powers. Grisha practice the Small Science but what he's doing is what is known as merzost. Whereas wielding powers of the Small Science provides vitality, merzost requires a sacrifice from the person wielding it. Hence why it drains the Darkling when he uses it."

"Well, that explains it," Nikolai says, his fingers beating a tattoo against his thigh, his mind already churning with possibilities.

"Explains what?" My twin asks.

"That we're still alive, that my father is still sitting on the throne. If the Darkling could just raise a shadow army, he'd have marched on us already. This is good," he comments decisively. "It buys us time."

"Not much," I add. "The Darkling is a patient man but the moment he sees an opportunity he will be upon us."

Our bond tells me that he's never too far away, at least I think. We've been separated for quite some time and as the days pass the exact location becomes more of a feeling than anything else. I haven't even heard his voice despite sending him many telepathic communications. Maybe he only wants me because I can give back some of his lost energy. Maybe he's only using you or worse.