Chapter 11: Greed of Men

*Trigger warning: mentions of taking one's life (it's a story of someone else and short but I wanted to give a warning just in case)

*Unedited

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

𝕬𝖋𝖙𝖊𝖗 what feels like hours of yelling, I throw my hands up in the air and grumble, "Can we all try speaking one at a time please?"

Nikolai runs a hand through his hair and shakes his head, "You're carrying demon spawn."

I glare at him, "They're going to be two rays of light. Stop being dramatic, you're just upset that this complicates your plan to marry me. Everything else you agree with."

The Prince scowls, "Fine, alright? I don't want to be the type of King that jumps straight to the idea of war. However, this is something else, Lana. It changes everything."

Surprisingly, it's Alina that steps forward. She gently says, "They, not it, Nikolai. And honestly, this situation may be exactly what we need. The Darkling may have something else worth fighting for rather than Ravka."

Mal doesn't look happy. He shakes his head, "That monster is beyond redemption."

I raise an eyebrow, "Maybe, maybe not. But it's not our right to decide that for him. Everyone deserves a chance. He's listened to me before, I'm just suggesting that when he eventually hunts us down that we give him one."

Silence falls.

Tolya and Tamar share a look and then the latter straightens her shoulders, "We agree with you, Lana."

Alina shrugs, "So do I."

Finally, we all look toward Nikolai.

The Prince groans and shakes his head, "Fine. It's not like it changes any of our plans. If all else fails, it will be a good distraction while everyone else escapes."

Mal huffs, "And if he doesn't listen? You'll very well be his prisoner again, Lana."

I shrug, "So be it."

He throws his hands up in exasperation, "Fine. I don't care."

With a mischievous grin, I reply, "Already knew that, at least when it comes to this Starkov anyways."

Nikolai groans and loops his arm around mine, "On that note, why don't I give you a tour of the rest of this place."

We hurriedly take our leave. He first takes me to my quarters. They are a set of rooms on the eastern side of the mountain. The door frame is formed by the clasped hands of two bronze maidens that are most likely meant to embody the Morning and Evening Stars. Inside, the far wall is entirely taken up by a round window, ringed in riveted brass like a side scuttle on a ship. The lanterns are lit, and though the view would most likely be spectacular in the daytime, right now, there is nothing to see but darkness and my own face looking back at me.

Clothes are laid out on the bed for me. I turn to Nikolai, "After I change, will you bring me to Baghra please?"

He nods and steps out of the room. I change into clean clothes: tunic, trousers, new boots, and a thick wool kefta in a darker version of Summoner blue, lined with red fox, its cuffs embroidered with silver. Nikolai always comes prepared.

When I exit, he guides me down, deep into the heart of the structure. I know we are there when the temperature is just shy of boiling. After flashing Nikolai a thankful smile, I enter without knocking.