Chapter 14: Sassy, Cold, B

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

𝕽𝖊𝖘𝖙𝖑𝖊𝖘𝖘 night is an understatement. In fact, I actually did not sleep at all. So many thoughts were bombarding me, all relating to the fucking Darkling of all people. I hate how I so easily fed into his charm. No, charm isn't the right word. The connection I feel towards him pulls me in even though he's cold and most definitely manipulative on some level.

Usually, I'm not this easy. I mean, I'm definitely not innocent but it takes more than a few days to get past my walls and actually get close to me. Kirigan stormed past my defenses with cool indifference within less than a month.

I'm just not myself. That's all. The Darkling is definitely the most attractive man I've seen so it's probably just physical. Yeah, that's all it is. Yet, the lingering feel of his lips on mine and the nervousness in my stomach reminds me that it's not healthy to lie to yourself.

My eyes flutter closed and I release a long sigh. Then with a jerk, I sit up again. It would appear that the strange connection I have with Kirigan may have gotten stronger. Because with absolute certainty I know that he too is awake, silently pacing his room. Great, more to think about.

Steeling my nerves, I decide that I'm not going to lie to myself any longer. Yes, the Darkling and I are bound in some way. Yes, I kissed him way too soon after meeting him. Yes, I'm terrified. What am I going to do about it? Well, I'm going to allow myself the luxury of being a stupid main character in some novel, and do nothing for once. Go with the flow, Svetlana. The ball is in his court now.

Beside me, Alina stirs awake. She rolls over to look at me and yawns out, "Why are you up so early?"

With a sigh, I decided to finally tell her some hard truths. I turn towards her and ask, "How do you feel about Kirigan?"

My twin shrugs and replies, "He's alright. Different from what I was expecting. Why?"

I sit up and keep my gaze on her, "I haven't told you this yet because I've been afraid."

Alina mimics my posture and shakes her head, "Svetlana, you can always tell me anything. You know that."

So I do. I tell her about how he makes me feel when he's near. How my power seems to pull me towards him. How I always seem to know where he is. The kiss. Everything.

Afterward, she wraps her arms around me to hold me like I usually do to her. Alina whispers, "It's ok to be scared. I know the feeling. Svetlana, you've never been the type to get attached to anyone except Mal and me. To be frank, not once have I ever seen you actually like a man even those you've... well you know."

I chuckle and shake my head again as she continues, "So, here comes General Kirigan. All cool and collected. He's different from anyone we've ever met. So are you. It makes sense that you would enjoy spending time with him. It's nothing to be afraid of."

"So you aren't mad at me?" I mumble.

She laughs and ruffles my hair, "Of course not. I may not feel like I belong here but that doesn't mean I want you to feel the same. I'm glad that you're finally opening up to others. Just be careful. You've never been heartbroken yet, I heard it sucks."

I let out a huff of amusement, "I never said I loved the man, Lina. Besides, I know when I'll have my first heartbreak."

Alina raises an eyebrow and asks, "Oh really?"

With a feigned expression of sadness and a hand to my chest, I nod, "Of course. It's when Mal finally proposes his undying love for you and takes you away from me."