Chapter 2: Cunning

*Unedited

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

𝕾𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖔𝖓𝖊 is absurdly paranoid, and it's not me. Aleksander insisted on handpicking my servants, but I refused to have no say. Ultimately we chose a kind woman named Vera to be the maid in charge. She believes me to be a Saint. The Darkling is not too pleased, he fears that she could be a spy for the Apparat, but I had insisted.

She was a great choice. All sorts of information somehow make its way to her ears and therefore mine. Similar to Tamar and Tolya, Vera swears loyalty to me and my sister alone. Not only does she tell me about her seven, almost eight-year-old son, Misha, who Nikolai rescued but also about sightings of the Prince and all other strategic intelligence she can get her hands on.

Vera is carefully applying makeup to prepare me for my first public appearance since my recovery.

"It seems to be growing white now, moya soverenaya."

"I thought I told you to call me Lana," I answer. "Or at the very least Svetlana."

The woman just huffs, "Very well."

I smile up at her, "Thank you."

"We could dye your hair if you want, Svetlana?"

Such a smooth subject change. Instead of calling her out on it, I just reply, "No. Even when it all becomes white, I will wear it with pride. To me, it symbolizes all I have been through and overcome."

"Spoken like a wise Saint."

I snort, "Enough of that. Have any information for me?"

"As I'm sure you're aware, the Darkling's men have been trying to penetrate the network of tunnels beneath Ravka's churches and holy sites," she begins. Once I nod she continues, "A day before you awoke, they began bombing, closing off exit routes, trying to drive anyone seeking shelter to the surface."

"And?"

"The Darkling's Alkemi created new explosives that can collapse buildings and force combustible gases belowground," Vera elaborates. "All it takes is a single Inferni spark."

I raise an eyebrow, "What's your point?"

Her hands pause their movements, "They haven't stopped yet."

A growl escapes my freshly painted lips. Aleksander. I just sigh, "Thank you for telling me."

"Of course," she replies. Then she walks around to stand behind me so I can glance in the mirror, "What do you think?"

My skin looks flawless yet natural. My lips are a dusty rose. My eyes have been emphasized with a touch of coal liner. A tiara is nestled within a curtain of my hair.

Genya would have done better but I still look stunning.

With a warm smile, I meet her eyes in the mirror, "I look amazing. Thank you Vera."

A brief knock on the door draws our attention. Aleksander walks in, dressed to kill. He's wearing a black leather coat lined with velvet, gold clasps holding it together.

"Leave us," he orders.

Vera bows briefly and departs with a quick, "Da, moi tsar, moya soverenaya."

I swivel to face my lover. He approaches me and smoothly compliments, "You look radiant."

"As do you," I reply with a silly grin.

But then I remember the information Vera provided. So I raise an eyebrow, "A little birdy told me that you haven't stopped bombing the tunnels."