Chapter 28: The Last Supper

*Unedited

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

𝕴𝖙 was decided that Mal will go search for the firebird, hopefully with some aid of Fabrikator inventions. But personally, I have shifted gears to focus on Nikolai's birthday dinner. Many believe that the prince will propose to me today. Though he has joked about it being true, I really can't be sure.

Mal and Tamar show up to escort Alina and me to the dinner. I'm honestly not surprised that the tracker has finally decided to stop avoiding Alina. Based on the wideness of my sister's eyes, she most definitely did not see this coming. Really sister dearest? What happened to true north and all that?

I'm dressed in a dark kefta made of shimmering panels of sheer royal blue embroidered with silver stars. The bodice is set with sapphires of deep Summoner's blue and sleek obsidian that matches the jewels in my hair. I decide to tuck away my amplifier bracelet into a pocket within the ruffles of my dress, just in case.

Dinner is being held in one of the sumptuous dining rooms of the Grand Palace, a chamber known as the Eagle's Nest for the massive frieze on its ceiling depicting the crowned double eagle, a scepter in one talon, and a cluster of black arrows bound by red, blue, and purple ribbons in the other. Its feathers are wrought in real gold, and I can't help but think of the firebird.

Nikolai's eyes flicker over me as I enter the room, and it occurs to me that this has been happening more often. Nothing to worry about. Absolutely, nothing.

The table is crowded with the highest-ranking generals of the First Army and their wives, as well as all the most prominent Lantsov uncles, aunts, and cousins. The queen sits at one end of the table looking like a crumpled flower in pale rose silk. At the opposite end, Vasily sits next to the king, pretending not to notice as his father ogles an officer's young wife. Nikolai holds court at the center table, with Alina and I beside him, his charm sparkling as always.

He'd asked that no ball be thrown in his honor. It didn't seem fitting with so many refugees going hungry outside the city walls. But it was Belyanoch, and the king and queen couldn't seem able to restrain themselves. The meal consists of thirteen courses, including a whole suckling pig and a life-size gelatin mold cast in the shape of a fawn. I share an amused look with the Prince when those last two are placed on the table. He just wiggles his eyebrows at me.

When the time comes for gifts, Nikolai's father presents him with an enormous egg glazed in pale blue. It opens to reveal an exquisite miniature ship set on a lapis sea. Sturmhond's red dog banner flies from the ship's mast, and its little cannon fires with a pop that releases the tiniest puff of white smoke.

Throughout the meal, I am avidly listening and conversing with those around me. The King's guards are placed at intervals along each wall. I know Tamar stands somewhere behind me, but Mal is directly across from us, standing at rigid attention, hands behind his back, eyes straight ahead in the blank focus of all anonymous servants. Alina can't take her eyes off of him. Meanwhile, it seems like many eyes are on me and I haven't the faintest idea why.

The nobles raise toasts to Nikolai's health. The generals praise his military leadership and courage. I expected to see Vasily sneer at all the praise being heaped onto his brother, but he looks positively cheery. His face is rosy with wine, and there is what could only be described as a smug smile on his lips. His trip to Caryeva seemed to have left him in a good mood. Suspicious.

I lean over to the Prince's ear, "Your brother is in awfully good spirits, do you know why?"

Nikolai chuckles, "Some good things do happen, let's just enjoy this one."