Chapter 6: New Beginning

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

𝕿𝖍𝖊 next few days passed in a blur of discomfort and exhaustion. We stayed off of the Vy and kept to side roads and narrow hunting trails, moving as quickly as the hilly and sometimes treacherous terrain would allow. I lost all sense of where we were or how far we had gone. Alina was still fighting every step of the way but, luckily for me, she was too tired to complain too much.

After the first day, the Darkling traveled separately from my twin and me. Yet, the peculiar feeling in my blood persisted. Wherever I found myself, I could always sense the general's location. It was as though the power within me was pulling me towards him. I wanted to ask him if this was normal but he hasn't said a single word to me or my sister, and as the hours and days wore on, I started to wonder if he wasn't fond of me. Occasionally, I did catch him looking my way, his eyes cool and unreadable.

Finally, on the fifth night, we decide to make camp at an abandoned farm. Alina slides off her mount and immediately waddles down the hill towards a stream. With a sigh, I see to her horse and make small talk with some of the soldiers. They seem to think that we will reach Os Alta before any real weather comes in but knowing my luck that could be a fat lie.

After helping set up, I abruptly become aware of my sister's absence. Glancing down towards the creek, I notice the Darkling talking to her. Once again, an unwanted flare of jealousy shoots through me. If only this emotion was a physical being because I'd already have shoved a dagger through its heart. Settling for a shrug instead, I turn towards the fire. I grab my small portion of grouse and wander a short distance away from the light illuminating the barn to stargaze as I eat.

I'm just making out the Sankta Anastasia constellation when I feel his presence. My flinch only occurs when he takes a seat beside me.

His silky voice breaks the comfortable silence, "I didn't mean to surprise you. Your absence was noticed inside."

I turn to look into his granite eyes for a moment before returning my gaze to the sky, "You didn't startle me, I just didn't expect anyone to join me out here in the dark. I suppose I shouldn't be shocked that the shadows will not deter you."

A small chuckle is his only response but I feel him staring at me.

"All right. Ask me," I say as I shift to face him.

To my surprise, I find him smiling and he shakes his head at me, "I told your sister the very same thing."

A small hmm and a tilt of my head encourages him to continue, "What are you doing out here, hiding in the shadows?"

I let out a single laugh and gesture to the stars, "I'm not hiding, just stargazing. Normally I like to do so alone. It's my way of finding peace after a long day."

"I could leave if that's what you want," he replies, but his tone of voice indicates that it's not really a question.

Regardless, I answer, "No, it's fine. I could use the company. In fact, I have a few questions for you too."

With a tilt of his head, he says, "Go on."

Never taking my eyes off him I suggest, "To make things more fair, you can ask me things too."

He nods once, still intensely staring at me.

Taking his silence as a sign to go first I inquire, "How old are you?"

"That was the first thing your sister asked me. As I told her I don't know exactly but around one hundred and twenty," he answers with a small chuckle.