Chapter 3: Early Grave

*Unedited

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

𝕴'𝖒 preparing for my first journey to aid trading missions across the Fold. My travel bag is filled and I close it before wandering into the war room to see Aleksander. He's reading some papers when I wrap my arms around his shoulders.

"All packed, moya zvezda?"

I nod, "Yup."

He signs one document before standing and swiveling to face me. "There's something you should know."

A wave of my hand signals him to get on with it.

"There are rumors being spread that I am blackmailing you into supporting me," he replies.

I raise an eyebrow, "Not too surprising. The Apparat's doing?"

"Or the Lantsov prince," Aleksander huffs.

"Still not surprising," I answer.

The Darkling hums, "You must be extremely cautious during your trip. Are you sure that you will not change your mind?"

"As if you even need to ask."

"Very well," the man responds. "Have you selected those you will take?"

I nod, "Ivan, of course. Here is the list of the others."

He takes the parchment from my fingers and leaves a quick kiss on my palm.

"I am going to discuss plans with Ivan and you can inform the others?"

The Darkling replies, "Of course. Until later, moya zvezda."

I kiss him on the lips and then leave our quarters. Ivan is sitting at one of the tables in the main hall. I gesture at him to follow me. We find a private place to sit down and talk.

"I'm sure you are aware that you will be leading my personal guard on my trips to the Fold?"

"Da, moya soverenaya," he replies.

I lean forward, rest my elbows on my knees, and intertwine my fingers. Then I say, "Shall we discuss a plan of action?"

So we do. From a simple carriage to revolving routes, every single detail is planned. After every base has been covered, I move to stand but Ivan stops me with a gentle hand on my shoulder.

"What is it?"

The Heartrender sighs, "Are we still friends, Starkov?"

I raise an eyebrow, "I don't know. Are we?"

"Look, Lana," he says. "I'm sorry for immediately viewing you as a traitor. You were- are my best friend. I should have had faith in you. I do now."

"Do you?"

"More than anything," he answers with a genuine smile on his normally sour face.

I stare at him for a long moment, then I grin, "Of course, we are still friends, Van the Man."

He chuckles, "I'm glad."

We stand and hug one another, albeit the man is a little stiff with his part. When we separate, his expression is cautious, "There's something else you should know."

"What is it?"

He holds my shoulder, "Don't be mad."

"Ivan..."

The Corporalnik takes a deep breath, "A group of the Grisha who stayed and supported you were captured the night of the attack. They are being kept in the dungeon."