Chapter 23: Heartbreak

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

𝕴'𝖒 sitting in a chair by the fire, trying to see if I can sense my twin's location using the connection I felt when our powers intertwined. However, all I can feel is the man standing a short distance away from me.

"Did you talk to Baghra?" I ask after a groan.

Aleksander hums and walks over to tower over me, "I don't think you want to hear what she had to say."

My eyes shoot open to stare him down, "I can handle it."

He raises an eyebrow but tells me, "She seemed too smug. I suspect she told your sister the truth. You may need to prepare yourself for the scenario where Alina left of her own accord."

"She wouldn't do that to me," I whisper but a part of me knows he may be right.

Fedyor walks into the room, interrupting any other discussion over the subject. He says, "General, I found a lead on her."

I stand and reply, "And where is my sister?"

The Darkling turns as well and raises an eyebrow. But Fedyor answers, "Oh. Uh... No. Nina Zenik. You asked-"

"Yes," Aleksander interrupts. "Speak."

"She was abducted by Fjerdans. Put on a ship with other Grisha captives, bound for the Ice Court."

"Someone must have given her up," I state.

The Darkling turns towards me and then gazes into the fire. He says, "Zlatan."

Fedyor replies, "Well, they have a witch hunter in their ranks. Matthias Helvar. He has been clever in tracking Grisha. I want him dead as much as I want her back alive."

Aleksander glances at him and says coldly, "What you want is irrelevant."

Internally, I scold him for his rudeness but choose to not challenge him out loud. Instead, I ask Fedyor, "Where are they now?"

"They hit a storm front. We... We lost track of the ship after that."

The Darkling turns and approaches him. "Reach the western coast. Go as far north as you can, Arkesk if you can make it. Bring back any Grisha you find, and barring that... you bring me one of theirs."

I see the spark of excitement glitter in Fedyor's eyes. "Yes, General. Ivan and I won't fail you."

Aleksander stalks to his desk and responds, "We need Ivan for a hunt of our own, I'm afraid."

With a small bow, Fedyor replies, "Sir, if she's alive... I'll find her."

Then he quickly makes his way out of the room.

I wander towards the Darkling. After perching on the edge of his desk I say, "I'm going to return to my room to pack for our trip. Should I return after or leave you to your papers?"

Aleksander doesn't look up at me when he replies, "Yes, but inform some servants to help you move your things."

Confused, I ask, "To where?"

He chuckles a bit before staring up at me, "Here of course. Unless you'd prefer otherwise."

My heart swells but I fight off the blush. With a smirk and a shrug, I answer, "I suppose it would save both of us quite a bit of time. So, I'll agree for now."

"Has anyone told you that you can be cruel, Svetlana?"

I laugh and back away from him, "Aleksander, you really know how to make a lady blush."