Chapter 10: Moya Zvezda

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

"𝕾𝖚𝖓 Summoners." an older Shu man says as he approaches us. "All of Ravka's foes want to kill you both before you can destroy the Fold. It's a great honor to have so many enemies. I am Botkin."

"A very warm greeting," Alina responds.

"He's always like this," Marie whispers to us.

"You must learn to defend yourself fast. Do either of you know how to fight?"

I smirk and share a look with my twin who replies, "I've had some training."

"Show me. Pick an opponent," Botkin orders.

Oh no. Concern for my overzealous sister floods me. This is not going to go well.

She looks at the crowd and points to the rude Squaller, "Her."

"Zoya Nazyalensky. I've been training her since she was ten," he says as Zoya slowly walks to stand in front of Alina.

With a smirk, she asks my twin, "Care to back down?"

I sigh and shake my head, "She's not familiar with the concept."

"Fighters ready?" Botkin inquires as Alina raises her fists. "And... fight!"

My poor poor sister approaches Zoya and tries to punch her. Only for Zoya to casually swipe her off her feet with a simple flick of her foot. With a determined look, Alina stands and demands, "We go again."

"Fight."

Alina once again attempts to punch Zoya and they spar for a few seconds until my twin gets flipped onto her back. The Squaller whispers something before backing away. My sister jumps up and quickly decks Zoya in the face. I snort and cheer her on. Suddenly the Grisha turns around and sends a gust of air towards Alina, sending her flying into some hay.

I run over to her and help her off the ground. Marie and Nadia are by our sides in an instant. Marie gasps out, "Alina! Are you okay? Please be okay."

Nadia leans in, "You okay? I can't believe she did that. She's just jealous. Can't bear the idea of anyone else being favored by General Kirigan."

Marie looks toward her friend and continues, "Don't know why she wastes her time pining over him when she could be with me."

After making sure my twin is uninjured, I give her a nod and march over to Zoya and Botkin.

"What were you thinking? Against the Sun Summoner? Have you lost your mind? She's not the enemy any more than I am! Go!" he's yelling at her.

"Wait, she's got spirit. Would love to see how she fares against me," I demand with an emotionless expression.

Botkin turns to me, most likely to say no but he just studies me for a moment. I guess my mask doesn't block out the fire in my eyes because he eventually nods. Zoya and I walk over to the open space, both sizing each other up.

"Fighters ready?"

I nod, not once taking my eyes off her.

"Fight!"

Instead of charging in like my twin, I circle her like prey. It's been a while since I've fought without my knives so I take the time to analyze her movements. She's swift like the wind she can channel. Probably more well trained than me too. But she's too cocky. Being overconfident will be her downfall, I'm going to make sure of it.

Finally, I make my move. I go in faking with a sloppy punch, knowing she's going to dodge. When she leans back, I swiftly spin and send my foot into her sternum making her stumble. Before she can recover, I run towards her. She tries to punch me but I sidestep and send my fist into her face. While she's disorientated, I swipe her feet out from under her, sending her to the ground as she did to my twin only minutes ago.