Chapter 22: Wicked

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

𝕿𝖍𝖊 morning sun filters through my eyelids. As I slowly awaken, I become aware of a lazy hand stroking my hair. I open my eyes and glance over to see Aleksander leaning against the headrest, reading through some documents. He doesn't even seem aware that he's playing with my hair. It warms my heart to imagine that he subconsciously can't resist touching me.

After a long stretch, I sit up and lean on his shoulder, "No rest for the wicked, I see."

He grins and glances at me, "I am wicked, but so are you."

I laugh out and shake my head. We sit in silence for a bit, just enjoying each other's company. Then I raise an eyebrow and ask, "So last night when we... finished and our powers acted up, has anything like that happened to you before?"

The Darkling hums and lazily replies, "No. That was a first for me. In many ways."

"How so?" I question with a slight smile on my face.

He sets down the papers on his nightstand table and shifts me fully into his arms. His fingers slowly draw circles on my exposed shoulder. "I've never allowed someone to sleep beside me before."

Jealousy burns through me at the thought of all the women he's been with. Aleksander raises an eyebrow and asks, "Are you jealous?"

I grumble, "No. Yes. It's normal."

He just shakes his head at me, a smirk on his face. I hiss out, "Oh come on. I'm sure you've been jealous before at some point too."

"Of course," the Darkling replies. "Until I met you, I had honestly forgotten what it felt like."

I grin and then think of something, "Wait, did you tell Ivan to stop talking to me? Were you jealous?"

When he doesn't respond, I laugh. "I should've guessed!"

In a whisper, I barely hear him reply, "He called you Lana."

I'm still chuckling as I snuggle into him again, "Never would have thought you'd be jealous of him of all people. Saints, he's with Fedyor! That's why you suddenly started calling me Lana."

He just waves a hand and changes the subject, "Doesn't matter now. You are mine and I am yours."

My heart strangely flutters. I grin for a bit before I seriously ask, "What do you think our connection is? Why can we feel each other's locations?"

Aleksander hums again and shrugs, "I'm not entirely sure. Perhaps it's as simple as 'like calls to like.'"

I nod, "I see your point. Since I enjoy it, I won't think about it too much."

He laughs, the dark sound wrapping around me, "Well, that would be a first, Lana."

"Aleksander!" I shriek and shove him a bit.

Suddenly he turns serious again. He pulls me in and kisses me gently. As we part he whispers, "I do enjoy hearing my name leave those pretty lips."

The blush hits me before I can hold it back. I just laugh and slip out of his arms to stand. His intense gaze darkens, and I don't miss the desire swirling there. As I slip on my clothes I send a serious stare his way, "We should leave this room eventually. We need to tell Alina the truth."

He shakes his head, "I think it would be best if you do so alone."

"You're right, as usual," I mumble. "She will probably take the news better if I'm alone."