Chapter 11: Star Summoner

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

𝕬𝖙 first, it was a complete disaster. When Baghra fastened her bony hand around my wrist, I realized instantly that she was an amplifier like the Darkling. I felt the same jolting surety flood through me, and starlight erupted through the room, shimmering over the walls of Baghra's hut. But when she released me and told me to call the power on my own, I hesitated. She chided me, cajoled me, even hit me once with her stick.

"What am I supposed to do with a girl who can't call her own power? Not only does your sister fail but so do you!" she growled at me. "Even children can do this."

After repeating the process several times, she shakes her head at me. "You waste your time training with Botkin but you aren't going to punch your way through the Shadow Fold are you?"

With a huff, I answer, "Of course not, that's ridiculous."

Baghra silently studies me with a shrewd gaze before speaking, "I asked your sister this. Now I'm asking you. Where do you belong?"

"With Alina," I reply with no hesitation.

"So, you're not a Star Summoner then. Just a little helper for your sister?"

"That's not fair," I hiss.

She shrugs and seems to look straight into my soul, "And yet it's true. You're content to hide a part of yourself away in order to bend to your sister's wants and needs. I was informed that you are strong, a fighter. Where's the girl that stared down a volcra with a smile on her face?"

I lean towards the sour crone, "You're looking at her."

Baghra doesn't back down. She raises an eyebrow and challenges me, "Then show me, girl."

An exasperated noise releases from my lips, "I can't!"

The old woman doesn't hesitate to slap me with her cane again, "Yes, you can. You just don't want to."

I release a sigh and hold my head in between my hands. I know she's right but how can I embrace the very thing my twin despises?

Baghra huffs and leans towards me, "You are not your sister. You are Svetlana Starkov, Star Summoner. It's about time you start making choices for yourself, girl."

My doubt slowly starts to ebb away but some of it lingers. Apparently noticing how she's getting through to me, Baghra does not relent, "Plus, you both have countless enemies. Even here. Wouldn't it be better if you could protect yourself... and Alina?"

If she has a double meaning, I miss it. When my gaze returns to meet hers, it's determined. I nod.

With a clap, she says, "Good, now summon the light."

And I do.

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

Feeling lighter than I have in years, I make my way towards the double doors leading to the Darkling's suite. The guards barely glance at me as they open them, allowing me to enter. I feel him before I see him. Obscured by shadows, General Kirigan stands with his back towards me, staring out the window by his desk. Slowly, I approach him.

Unsure how to proceed, I jokingly bow and say, "Ready to serve, moi soverenyi."

That causes him to glance at me with a single raised eyebrow. Well, at least it's something.

Finally, he glides over to two chairs set up by the other window. With a single wave, he indicates that he wants me to sit down. Begrudgingly, I do as I'm told. He only lowers himself into the other chair once I'm seated.