Chapter 8: Voice

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

𝕬𝖑𝖗𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙, decision made.

I groan and rush towards my sister and best friend. I throw my body to the deck, sliding between Ivan's legs. In the process, I spin and slam my foot into his ankle. The Heartrender goes down hard.

When he looks up to see me, his face is filled with utter betrayal, "Lana, why?"

My expression is sad, "She's my sister. Now that I know how far he will go, I refuse to stand by and let her be harmed."

Ivan snarls, "Traitor."

I shrug, "Heard that before. Sorry, my friend, but time to go to sleep." My power surges out faster than he can comprehend. Shadows suffocate the Heartrender and Inferni beside him. They can't so much as twitch a finger. When they pass out, I release the darkness.

Tamar joins us a moment later, "You with us, Snow Star?"

"I'm with my sister," I reply.

Sturmhond runs over and orders, "Then help us escape."

I smirk, "Well, I have nothing better to do with my day."

"Svetlana!" Alina hisses.

My shoulders shrug but I send out my power in a giant wave. It slithers through the chaos, blinding and immobilizing my fellow Grisha but leaving Sturmhond's men alone.

"Let's go," I demand. "I can hold this even on the other ship, and for a bit longer as we escape."

Tolya takes Alina and vaults over the railing, Tamar and Mal following. Sturmhond turns towards me, "Do you trust me, lovely?"

I shake my head, "Not even a little bit." Then I leap over. Squaller wind scoops me up and deposits me on the schooner's deck. I tuck and roll before impact to lessen the fall. Sturmhond lands close behind me.

He reaches out a hand and pulls me up, "Probably for the best."

The captain lets go and shouts, "Give the signal!"

A piercing whistle blows.

"Privyet," he calls to a crewman I don't recognize. "How many do we have?"

"Eight men down," Privyet replies. "None remaining on the whaler thanks to the Star Summoner. Cargo on its way up."

"Saints," Sturmhond swears.

I step towards the edge of the ship, "I can provide us cover."

Without waiting for a nod of approval, I expand the shadows and light so they cover the whaler.

"They won't be able to see or break through this but hurry. I can't fend off the Darkling for long," I inform them.

After a few minutes, Privyet shouts, "Sea whip is secured, kapitan!"

"We need to leave now," I hiss. "The Darkling is close to getting through my shield."

A boom of thunder. My dome cracks.

"He's up!" calls Tamar.

Blackness tumbles toward us, engulfing the schooner, blotting out everything in its path.

"Free me!" Alina pleads. "Let me help!"

I yank her off the ground, "No need. Everyone should focus on getting us out of here!"

My left hand gently lays across my twin's shoulder blade, brushing her amplifier. Power surges through me. White light blazes through the dark, pushing the blackness back over the whaler. A cheer goes up from Sturmhond's crew, but it withers on their lips as another sound fills the air- a grating shriek, piercing in its wrongness. Nichevo'ya.