Chapter 33: First Flight

*Unedited

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

𝖂𝖊 travel with Sun Soldiers, not only for protection but because some of the mountain passes are still blocked by snow. It feels nice to talk with them again and to see how much more comfortable they are with their powers since they left my care.

"It would have been faster by dragon," Zoya complains as we traverse yet another switchback.

"And Firebird!" I add.

Nikolai shakes his head, "But considerably more conspicuous."

"Just keep moving," Genya says. "I don't want to spend another night in these mountains."

Nikolai glances behind him on the trail, where Zoya is helping Genya clamber over a rock. We all wear the roughspun clothes of travelers—warm coats and trousers, boots lined in fur. "Is it the bobcats, the weather, or the company that displeases you?"

"I am a queen," Zoya says. "I should be borne aloft on a litter so that my delicate feet never touch the ground."

I roll my eyes, "As your friend, I mean this in the best way possible. There is nothing delicate about you."

She huffs.

Nikolai offers, "I could ask the demon to carry you."

Zoya sniffs. "Thank you, no. The last time you let it out, it tried to bite me."

"I think it was meant affectionately."

"Are you certain?" Genya asks.

I reply, "Of course," at the same time Nikolai admits, "Not entirely."

Flyers had brought us to the plains north of Sikursk. From there, we'd been forced to continue on foot. The winds that tear through these peaks make flight too risky. Ahead of us, bracketed by Sun Soldiers, the Darkling trudges on. His hands are bound and he still wears the black robes of the Starless.

I quicken my pace and walk beside him. As I do, all of the Sun Soldiers bow their heads and open their mouths.

"Do not use that nickname again, please," I interrupt.

Though I can see their ire, they do as I ask.

I scoot as close to Aleksander as I can without having our feet clamber together with our steps, "Are you cold at all?"

He shakes his head.

"Are you sure? I can get a coat for you? Or use my light to warm you? Or-"

"Moya zvezda, I love you. Please stop."

The look in his eyes says it all. He too feels the bitter finality of this journey. But smothering him won't save us. So instead, I hook my arm around his elbow. For now, content with feeling our connection buzz through my veins.

I can feel the Sun Soldier's gazes on us. As of late, I have made no attempts to hide my feelings for Aleksander. It surprises them, maybe even disgusts them. I don't care. If this is the end, then I want to spend it how I choose.

We emerge around a bend and the valley sprawls out before us, blanketed in silver mist and ringed by the snow-capped peaks of the Sikurzoi. I can see mountain lakes gleaming like frozen coins, and far in the distance, a herd of shaggy bison move slowly across a meadow, searching for signs of spring.

Nikolai's voice pierces the peaceful silence once more, "Are you really so ready to watch the world die?"

I feel my husband shrug, "Imagine, if you're able, how long I've spent in this world. Do you never wonder what waits in the next?"