Chapter 30: Eya Fyela Chi

*Unedited

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

𝕬𝖘 the Firebird, I spent most of the war protecting Ravka's borders. Stories of the red, gold, white, and blue flamed creature spread far and wide. Though it helps with the war effort, I cannot be everywhere at once.

Nikolai struggles to hold the throne due to accusations of his bastardry while also fighting against the Fjerdans and the Shu Han Queen.

Not only that but Os Kervo was also bombed by Fjerda on Genya and David's wedding day. I only heard the news a few days later. To my horror, David did not survive. Sweet David. Another person to mourn and remember. I care not about the rivers my tears may form, all I care about is the heartache of losing another person I loved. Love. Always.

The news about Aleksander reaches me a week after the events took place. He apparently stabbed my sister and Mal with a piece of thorn wood in order to get his powers back. Typical.

I have yet to visit him up until now. War has kept me busy. But today is the day.

My bond leads me to him as I soar through the sky. I find him in a settlement near the Fold. Of course, he would choose to rally the followers of the Cult of the Starless Saint.

As I go to land, several members of the cult stare up at me in horror and awe. My talons barely touch the soft grass before I shift into my human form. I stretch my arms, feeling bones shift with a satisfying pop. In all honesty, I don't know how long it's been since I've walked instead of flown.

When I shake out my limbs and glance at the monks in front of me. However, my eyes have to move downward because they are now on their knees.

I sigh and pop a hip, "Enough of that. Have none of you ever seen a Firebird turn into a person? Don't answer that... Just take me to him."

One boy rises and silently shuffles toward me. He bows without meeting my eyes, "Sankta Svetlana, I can show you the way."

I thank him and impatiently follow after the timid youth. We round through a cacophony of crudely constructed tents, the layout eerily similar to a military camp. He stops in front of a large black silk pavilion in the dead center of the field. Old habits die hard.

The boy bows once more before skittering off. With a deep breath, I walk through the obsidian silk like I own the place.

Aleksander is at a dark walnut desk, reading through a pile of documents. His head shoots up to look at me - a momentary lack of his cool and collected control.

"Svetlana," his silky smooth voice pierces the silence, "I did not know when or if you would visit me."

A small smile forms on my lips as I approach him, "You used to know me so well. Has that much changed?"

"Not for me."

I arch an eyebrow and place my palms on the edge of his desk, "Explain."

He props his elbows on the smooth wood and interlocks his fingers, "Years have passed for you. It is difficult to predict what you will do."

"To me, it feels like only days," I mutter. "I'm still the same person. Just Lana."

"Yes," Aleksander replies, "I suppose you're right, moya zvezda."

Slate meet brown. The awkwardness between us passes. We fall back into the same dynamic as before.

And of course, I have to ruin it.