Chapter 32: level 0

|hey everybody!!! so sorry ab the long ass wait but i'm baaaaack!!! i'll explain later

FYI: when i write like this it's saeko's inner thoughts. this chapter is a little funky to write cause while we are still in nanami's pov, we're also seeing saeko's pov as well. basically they're seeing her memories and experiencing them with her|

nanami followed the saeko look-alike into the door, letting the intense red light wash over him as time and space shifted around him. the space around him felt endless and heavy. his feet desperately tried to find solid ground but was met with a gut-wrenching emptiness he couldn't put into words. he tried to focus on the back of the clone's head, watching in shock as its body glitched and started to lose its form before disappearing completely in thin air. he closed his eyes for a split second and opened them to see gojou, ijichi, and ino standing not too far off.

before he could say anything, he paused to look around at the new environment. not only was it his old apartment complex, but they were on his floor. he turned his head to the left and stared in shock at the young woman standing in front of a door. it was a younger saeko. her hair was long and she was wearing a dusty pink sweater that was tucked into a dark blue floral skirt that buttoned up in the front. she was holding her totebag close to her chest as she stared down at her short heels. she took a deep breath and audibly let it out before reaching forward and knocking on the door in front of her.

is that...that's my old apartment...what is she doing here??

this should be the place, a soft voice whispered around them.

his attention was immediately brought back as the sound of the creaky old door opening broke the silence.

"yeah?", a mans voice came from the doorway as he stepped out.

nanami looked at the surprised look on saeko's face slowly turn to confusion as she stared back at the man in front of her.

"h-hello, um...i was looking for nanami-nanami kento-he used to live here", she stammered nervously.

"he doesn't live here anymore sweetheart", the man answered in an irritated tone.

saeko felt her stomach drop as she heard his answer, "oh...well um, by any chance do you know where he might have moved?", she asked. her hands sweaty as the panic in her body rose.

"nope. never heard of him", he said sharply, "anything else you wanna ask?"

saeko felt the heat rise to her cheeks at the tone of the man, she felt like she was being scolded by the man. "n-no...sorry for bothering you", she mumbled as she bowed her head as a sign of an apology, "thank you for your help"

she heard him suck his teeth and grunt before he closed the door on her, leaving her standing in the empty corridor.

what a dick...guess i'll try the landlord, they might know something...

nanami watched as saeko sighed and walked down the hallway, heading towards the stairs. he looked back at the others who were standing in shock at their current situation and sighed to himself before following saeko to the stairwell.

saeko quickly walked down the stairs and followed the signs that eventually led her to the landlord's office. she knocked and then opened the door, hesitantly walking into the small office space.

"hello?", she called out.

"one second!", an old woman's voice responded from behind a door to her left. within a few seconds, an older woman appeared from the door and stepped out so that she was peeking into the office space to greet saeko. she was wearing a large monotone sweater and slacks paired with an odd pair of fuzzy pink house slippers.