~14~

August 2015

Ava's pov:

'Please check the number you have dialled'. I heard the same automated voice I got used to over the months. He is not going to come back, how hard is it to accept?

I squatted down as I placed a finger over the wall where the immature me wrote D&A in a heart. I looked around the terrace, taking a deep breath as heaviness started creeping in. Every spot here had a memory of us. I was trying to push down the longing feeling when my phone started ringing.

"Ava, they are leaving now. Come down", said Abhi. Why did I still hope if it was him who called? How pathetic. "Yeah, I will be there in a minute".

•______•

"Miss me every day okay!", I laughed as Virin kissed my cheek hugging me.
"Yeah don't irritate Priti much. She is not used to you as much as me", I said wiping his tears with my sleeves.

"Out of all the colleges, he could have applied to!", Priti groaned crossing her arms ready to hop in the car. "I still don't know how they accepted this imbecile", Said Kyra as she filled the car with luggage.

"Don't mind them. Remember? white noise.", I said pushing the Pouting boy towards his parents. "I'll miss you both", Said Kyra hugging Priti and me together.

"I wish you were accepted to the same college as us", Said Priti squeezing Kyra. "And I wish I was born in the same year as you guys", I let out making them chuckle.

"I see you intentionally keep me out of the group hugs", we parted as we saw Abhi extended his arms ready to join us. Kyra looked a little discomforted as he came between us. Maybe she is still coping up with her feelings for him. She was as stunned as me when I told the girls, about what Abhi said in the park. I feel guilty that Abhi will not reciprocate Kyra's feelings because of me.

It took a good half an hour for everyone to say goodbye. "It's just the two of us now", Sighed Abhi as we saw our friends leaving.

"It's just for our senior year. You will leave me too", I said shrugging. "Not happening", he mumbled. "What?", I asked raising my brows in confusion. "Nothing", he shrugged as he walked back towards his car. I rolled my eyes before I left too.

•______•

"Why aren't you eating?", I asked my mom as she went to throw the plate full of food in the sink again. "How can I? When you are starving yourself", she said her voice breaking as she rinsed the plate.

I got up hugging her. I am a sucker when it comes to being mad. As soon as I see tears, mine will flow without permission. "Ma, you didn't even let me explain. You just jumped to conclusions", I said as she questioned me, "Did you listen to me? Hmm? You asked me about the engagement in the hospital and just walked by me".

She continued as she turned around and my arms fell to the sides. "You didn't listen to me when I said I called off the engagement. Did you know I accepted for it to happen only on the basis that you liked each other? Even Abhi called it off when he found out about you and that boy".

She is still not referring to him by name. "Darsh. His name is Darsh Ma. I was angry that you didn't tell me about your plans in the first place. You might think that it's a silly relationship between teenagers but, it's far from that for me. Everything started when he moved across us ma. It was an attraction in the beginning but, as I followed him around knowing everything about him. I fell for him. He was there for me whenever I felt low and we never crossed a line. As much as you cannot accept, It never felt wrong being with him, I still love him even if he left me", I said as a lump started to form.

She took my hand into hers before she said, "I am sorry. I am what I am forced to be by the circumstances around me. Growing up I had my restrictions carved into my brain. I cannot cross the limits I formed even when I know that's what you need", she said as her eyebrows scrunched and I understood that she is talking about Darsh and me.

I wanted to say something but I felt like it was useless to argue over a lost cause. "Ma", I called her out of the trance. "Hmm?", she asked back.

"Is it weird to say I am hungry now?", I said as she chuckled taking out the plate filling it with food. I tried to smile even when the dog sleeping at my feet under the dining table reminded me of him every second.

_____***_____