~33~

Ava's pov:

"Heads or tails?", My uncle our temporary empire asked us. "Heads", my brother Charan. Little brother of the bride said confidently.

"Tails, you get to choose", We groaned as my uncle pointed to the opposite team. This is the war between the bride and groom's family. I am sure we will win the match instead of a stupid toss.

"We choose to bowl", They chose proudly smirking at us. Huh, losers. We stretched our arms and legs getting ready for the match. Our mums were cheering for us and dads are having a chat about work without a care in the world for sure.

•_______•

"131 runs to win!", Our empire announced as Sharon's team got ready for batting. God! Finally. We finished batting with so much struggle. I was going to rip my hair off when some of my team members said the bat is too heavy for them to play.

I quickly called for a team meeting before we started the other half of the match. "Look We have to win this match because if by any chance we couldn't find Rishab's footwear on the day of marriage we will at least have this match to rub off. So, this match is like win or di...", I was cheering while my brothers got ready for bowling which I could understand but, what I couldn't understand is why my stupid sisters ogling the opposite team as they stretched.

"HEY! Tina! Look here", I shouted at my sis. "God, they look hot with all those muscles. I wish we were playing something that includes clutching each other tight!", One of my sis was almost drooling.

"They are the enemy! Are you even listening", I asked disbelievingly. "We will lose sorely at everything if you are like this! We are the pride of our sister! We need to win this for her!", They stopped looking and at least concentrated for now ugh.

"Psst Ava", I turned towards Arun asking what is it. "They look like they know what they are doing and most people in our team couldn't even lift the bat properly", I gave a sweep at my team. "It's alright we have watched enough cricket matches to know what we are doing".

Charan did the bowling cause most of us are amateurs at playing cricket. First came two guys and hit 44 runs in 4 overs. We need to do something fast!

The ball was thrown and the guy hit it pretty hard. Oh no, the ball is coming at me and everyone screamed for me to catch it. Did I tell you I am afraid of fast-moving things? Ava focus! This is not the time, if I don't catch that it will be a 6. I cannot let that happen!

I went back and back before I caught it! crashing into someone smashing their teacup to the ground. "Ava!", My dad yelled at me. "You should watch where you are going", My dad lectured me. Or you should watch the boundary line, instead of saying it out loud I just smiled. "Sorry", I let out a fake apology and turned around celebrating victory "OUT", I screamed.

One wicket! The guy was replaced by Sharon. As soon as she joined the field Arun went behind her as a wicketkeeper, this guy! I shifted my place too and stood close to him just to make sure he doesn't mess up.

She hit the ball and it went not so far. She ran for a run and the ball was passed immediately to Arun when Sharon almost returned for the second run. "Arun! What are you waiting for hit the stumps!", the whole team was jumping with anxiety but, here he was watching his girlfriend peacefully as she completed the run. Is this the time to romance!

"Do you have a death wish!", All of us were truly angry and before someone shows just that, I sent him to the far end of the boundary line.

They were at 72 runs when Sharon was replaced by Darsh. I called for a meeting again. "Charan trust me when I say this. Darsh is trained for years in cricket. So, we need to be careful if we wanna win", I finished and was replied by two people at a time.

"God, that makes him even more mouth-watering. I will be the wicketkeeper behind him!"
"Is he the same Darsh?!", my sister and Arun said at the same time.

"No, Ava will be the wicketkeeper. I don't trust anyone anymore", My brother declared as Arun and I had a serious eye contact match.

Everyone dispersed and I started to move. "Ava, is he the same Darsh?", Arun caught my hand. "Arun, I can handle it myself don't worry. Most importantly, please don't involve Abhi in this", I said before running off to my position behind Darsh.

The next 20 minutes were most depressing to watch as they almost won! Ahh! I really want to win this match. I removed my cap and threw it at the ground when Darsh hit another 6. "Looks like someone is frustrated", He mocked me lifting his bat with victory pointing at his teammates.

I just ignored him taking my cap back.
"5 balls and 10 runs to win!", the empire announced. "Lemme make a deal", he continued talking and I continued to not give a fuck.

"I'll let you guys win if you give me 5 minutes to talk with you in person", I suddenly looked at him listening to his offer. No no! No way in the hell consider that Ava.

I just focused on the bowler and acted like I didn't hear anything. He hit two fours for the next 2 balls. " 3 balls and 4 runs to win", My uncle announced one last time.

Ava, this is just a game what if you lose you should not give in, come on! I tried to motivate myself as the ball came his way. It's just a game! So what if we lost 20,000 and clean cars for 2 days straight right? I looked at my cousins and their faces were etched with nervousness.

I know I will regret this. "Okay", I whispered softly but he heard and froze for a second. Then he missed all the three balls and my side of the family cheered loud and hugged each other screaming 'WE WON!'.

"I thought you were a professional! How can you miss all three of them man!", Someone from his team asked and he just shrugged looking at me.

•______•

"What just happened in the field?", Arun asked me as we were going in to clean the sweat and mud off. "Yeah, something was going on between you and that babe magnet", My sister butted in.

"I don't know what you guys are talking about", I said looking at both of them. "Ava", it was Darsh calling me. I just walked fast pushing people away. I did a huge mistake saying okay. I don't even want to see his face let alone talk to him!

I reached my room and almost went in, "What a cheater. You made a deal and now backing away?", I scoffed at this. "Look who is blaming others of cheating. Out of all, you don't even have a right to use that word", I muttered and was about to slam the door but, he stopped it with his leg.

"Ava, please. Let me explain", He tried to push himself in. "Darsh, leave. I will not say it again", I warned him. "Not before you listen to me. Here me out Ava, I can see how much it's hurting since you found it".

I stopped struggling to close the door and he backed away, "Get over your delusional theories", I replied slamming the door on his face.

~~~***~~~

Hey guys, here is the immediate update as promised. It's just a short one but I promise the next one will be long.