Chapter IV - The Truth Comes Out

"I fucking liked you, Meghan! I may even have loved you! Fuck me, I might even still!" he yells.

Woah. I mentally take a step back. Okay, was not expecting that.

"Luke, I-" I'm lost for words.

"Don't bother." His voice is bitter as he turns. His exit is marred by a stumble and he grabs out for the wall, holding onto the door handle. Then he shuts the bathroom door behind him with a slam.

Well. I guess I should have seen something like this coming. It should have been pretty clear all along. But I missed the signs, and now this has happened. Jai cracks the kitchen door open slightly and pokes his head through. "Clear?" He asks.

"Yeah." I nod.

"Well, I saw that one coming." That makes one of us.

"Of course you did. You're his fucking twin." I say sourly.

"What, do you and Nadia have some kind of psychic connection we missed out on? Or are you just taking your anger out on me?" He replies sharply and I flush.

"No."

He raises his eyebrows, waiting. I sigh. "I'm sorry, Jai."

Jai is a pain in the ass sometimes but I love him. But not in that way. His brown eyes are still fixed on mine, expectant.

"What?" I ask indignantly.

"Well, are you gonna go get him?"

"What?!" I don't know what the fuck he's on but I want some.

"Look, Meghan, I get it. You're surprised. You're mad. You're confused. But you don't see what everyone else sees! You two are supposed to be. I swear to god, from the age of 2 you were inseparable, and you know each other better than you know yourselves."

"Jai, you know me better than I know myself!"

"Hey, we're twins, remember? Maybe the psychic connection joins us, too?" He winks, and walks back into the kitchen with one last threatening look. I poke out my tongue.

When he's gone, I take a deep breath. Then I grab the door handle and twist it open.