Chapter XXX - Beau Isn't Single?

The boys get back quite late from their interview, and the dinner Mel, Ali and I prepared is getting cold. We made chicken Mignon with quinoa salad, so we just zap them in the microwave quickly and serve them out one at a time.

Everyone is exhausted and jetlagged and Skip even manages to fall asleep at the table, halfway through a sentence. James and Beau carry him upstairs, much to everyone's amusement, and Luke films a Keek of it.

I'm not used to being here. I don't miss Australia, not yet, but I don't feel completely comfortable here either. Shortly after seven o'clock, there's a knock on the door. I decide to answer it as nobody else gets up and James and Beau are still upstairs. I open the door to a girl I've never set eyes on.

She's pretty, and she looks Asian or Mexican, not European. She has dark straight hair and dark eyes, and is a couple of inches off my height. She smiles. "Hi! You must be Meghan?"

I squint at her, determined to figure out who she is. "Yeahhh..? Um, sorry to sound rude, but how do you know me?"

Her smile breaks into a glassy little laugh. "Sorry, sorry, I've just seen and heard so much about you, I forgot you have no idea who I am!" She sticks out one small hand and I shake it awkwardly. "I'm Chelsey. I'm going out with Beau?"

"Oh, really? That's nice."

For real, Meghan? Nice? That's all you've got?

"I'm sorry, that sounded bad. I just mean, I haven't really heard of you, at all! I thought Beau was single." I bluster to cover my awkward remark but I can see that I'm really just digging a hole. My speciality.

I cringe, and stand back from the door. "Please come in."

She tries to smile as she walks past but it looks more like a grimace.

Chelsey clearly knows where she's going because she goes right in and across the hall into the dining room. When she notices Beau isn't there, she turns without any question and walks upstairs. I'm kind of shocked. She's acting as if she owns the place.

Luke catches my eye and rolls his own, jerking his thumb at where Chelsey went. It's obvious he's not her biggest fan. That makes me more comfortable any way.

The thing I need least now is to find out that Luke's been having some secret affair.

Chelsey almost seems to float up the stairs, her dark hair swishing from side to side. She's already pissing me off.

* * * *

Chelsey decides to invite herself to stay the night, and joins us at the table for dinner, eating Beau's while he finishes Daniel's. I can read Alicia's thoughts through her gaping expression; rude bitch!

I have to agree.

Before we're all finished eating, Chelsey leaves the table to lay on the sofa and turn on the TV, which irritates me. Who does she think she is? Obviously not someone so important that Beau told everyone about her. I still can't believe he isn't single. He sure acts like it.

Chelsey stays in Beau's room for the night, and then the night after that. When everyone goes out for breakfast the next morning, her and Beau stay at home. When we all go to the movies for the day, they're a no show. The less of Beau there is, the more everyone gets pissed at Chelsey.

All I can say is I hope she doesn't think she's staying for a long time.