Chapter XIX - Jai to the Rescue

I end up curled up in a ball to sleep, my tears soaking my pillow. Mum came to reassure me, it turns out she was just getting a coffee, so that's one person in the entire world that actually likes me.

Luke left with Miranda.

I don't know what's going on there, she's got to be almost thirty and she's their music production manager. But she definitely has something for him.

I'm lying in bed looking at the ceiling when there's a buzz from beside my head. I hardly dare to believe it, but someone's texted me. When I unlock my phone, I almost drop it in excitement. It's Jai.

To: Meghan
From: baby jai 🙈❤️
Message: how are you doing babe? I'm so sorry that I'm not there, I wanted to be so badly but that fucking bitch miranda didn't let me beau or mum come! I hope luke grew some balls and talked to you because he needs to tell you. I will come see you, we're trying to get back to melbourne for a bit. Love you xxx

The text message is like my first breath of air, it's such a relief. I knew he didn't hate me. But at the same time, it was hard not to believe that. And what did Luke have to say? I'm sure he didn't say it because nothing he said had any relevance.

Everything Jai said seems to make me feel better. Every sentence fills me with hope. Goddammit, Miranda. Fucking bitch.

I turn off my phone more viciously than necessary and toss it to the table. As it lands, the door at the foot of my bed creaks open. The light above my bed reflects off his lip ring.

Luke.

I see his teeth glint too as he smiles weakly. I turn my face into my pillow. Screw him. For 9 months I've been wanting him, needing him, so badly that I ended up in the freaking hospital, and now he turns up, wanting to be nice to me again?! Well, fuck you, Luke.

I hear him approach the bed and childishly, I bury my face into my pillow more. He rests a hand on my shoulder and I flinch.

"Look, Meghan, let me explain!" His voice is desperate. "I thought this would be best! I thought just letting go would be the best thing to do!" A tear slips from my eye into my pillow. Luke takes a breath and continues. "It wasn't! Okay, it wasn't, and I was wrong, and I admit it! I thought it was just bad for me, and it would be good for you, but clearly, it just wasn't good at all. But we're coming back to Melbourne and I want to stay here, for a while. I missed you so bad. I cried every day. It's not the same without you. Meghan, I love you! Just... just say you love me too." His last sentence is a dry whisper, almost a sob. I want to make him pay, to ignore him completely, but that's not how it works when you love someone. When I lift my head my pillow is soaked with tears.

"Of course I do, Luke." I whisper.

"Well say it, please!" He sobs and how does he still look so masculine with tears running down his face? How does he still look so beautiful when he's crying so much?

"Luke, I love you. I always have!"

"I'm so sorry."

"I love you. So it's okay! Isn't that how love works? You forgive each other for all their crazy shit, because in the end, you can't live without them." I say, and he nods, smiling through his tears. Then he leans down to me and gently, ever so gently, he presses his lips to mine.

Strangely, it reminds me of the day at the pool. His lips are wet, but still soft, and I taste salt and him. Luke. I don't know how people can have a taste, or if anyone else does, but Luke does.

He pulls away quicker than normal, and sits down on the chair beside my bed. "You should get some sleep." He says awkwardly, and I can't help but laugh a little.

"I'll get sleep when I need it. But right now, what I need is to lie here and look at you. Then, maybe, I'll get round to sleeping."

*author's note*

Okay srsly do you know how hard it was not to put in stupid comments on the 'luke's taste' section like lmao it's so hard to keep bits like that serious.

But anyway, they weren't apart for long but you know, a lot happened bla bla bla maybe a longer breakup might come later idk you tell me ;)

xx