Chapter XX - Bros Before Hoes

"This whole LA thing doesn't seem to be working out, does it?" James laughs as he drags his suitcase into the Brooks' house. I laugh too and try to take one of his bags off of him, when my ribs start to protest. Instead I lead him in and upstairs to where he's staying for the night. James will be sleeping in Luke's room, Daniel and Alicia in Jai's, Beau in his own and Luke, Jai, Mel and I are in the living room. It's only for one night.

Luke put his foot down and refused to leave Melbourne until I was in the state he left me in last time. Two days later, the rest of the boys flew back in.

I feel like a princess, but at the same time I don't care because I have my Luke, and I have my Jai, and I even have my Beau. James was kind of pissed off because his whole family was on holiday in the Gold Coast, and won't be back until tomorrow night. So the Brooks offered him a room for the night, and Luke turned it into a sleepover party.

It's my first night out of the hospital, and I'm supposed to be doing very little due to my two broken ribs. My arm's in a sling too, but it shouldn't be for too long. I got really lucky, I was told, because the injuries could have been a lot more serious.

Now everyone's here, we can set out all of the mattresses for watching movies downstairs, and Jai's turned the Xbox onto Fifa. The Brooks only have three controllers, but Skip brought another three and I brought two, so we have enough for everyone. We all get comfortable and split into an Adelaide United team and Melbourne Victory, which ends up being girls vs boys. Perfect.

"Bring it!" Luke yells as Jai starts the game.

It's an awkward manoeuvre for me, with one arm bent into my chest, but I make do and three games later it's Girls: 2, Boys: 1. Not due to skill, but due to teamwork. Mainly, Mel passing the ball to Ali and I at any chance possible. The boys on the other hand, are holding a competition within the team. Luke's already turned around and smashed Beau over the head with his controller, getting a smack in return, then on top of that Jai scored an own goal trying to keep James from getting the ball.

The game is entertaining, but it's more entertaining just to watch the boys.

The competition ends with the girls ahead when Beau accidentally turns off the Xbox while attempting to smash Skip's hands with his controller. No one bothers to turn it back on.

The boys are in a sour mood because they were beaten by the girls, so Mel, Ali and I go through to the kitchen and start up a chocolate fountain. There's an unspoken agreement between us all not to discuss the 9 months when the boys were away, although I've already discovered that both of them were still talking to their boys, quite regularly, over Skype and iMessage. Although it makes me more pissed at Luke, he's here. And I'll take Luke in any way or situation as long as he's here.

"So I was thinking-" Alicia starts as I say,

"I was wondering-"

We both stop and make awkward eye contact, before grinning. Alicia flings her arms around my neck and I grab Mel with my good arm around her shoulders to pull us all into a group hug. It really has been hell having no one to talk to.

* * * *
* Luke pov *

"I can't believe we were beaten by a bunch of girls." Skip throws his controller down on the sofa and puts his feet up on the arm.

"Hey, it wasn't that bad." Beau says, chucking his controller onto one of the mattresses on the floor.

James elbows him playfully. "Just cos you have a thing for that Alicia chick!"

Beau turns disbelieving eyes on James and James visibly shrinks down at the expression on Daniel's face.

"Haha, but I think it's an unreturned crush because she clearly doesn't like you." James fumbles weakly and it's almost humorous how bad his attempt is. But not quite.

Fuck.

The tension in the room could suddenly be cut with a butter knife. Daniel's glare is almost burning a hole in Beau's back and Beau has shut his eyes in disbelief and irritation.

"Beau?" Skip asks almost calmly.

Beau cringes. "Yes?"

"Are you fucking serious?"

"Look, I don't know!" No reply. Beau anxiously backtracks. "I mean, she's hot of course, but bros before hoes!"

"Before hoes?" Skip sounds furious.

"Oh, fuck my life." Beau mutters under his breath.

Yeah and Daniel might just. I think, laughing under my breath.

Jai decides to step in, holding up a hand. "Look, calm down you guys. Beau didn't mean to call Alicia a hoe, she's his good friend. And whether he likes Ali or not, she's dating Skip! Beau isn't threatening the relationship in any way, he's just gonna be the one that gets hurt so drop it. Both of you."

Skip looks sour like a little kid and Beau looks grateful. I'm just holding back laughter at the whole situation. Daniel is so fucking protective. Although I can't talk. I reckon I take it to the next fucking level.

Skip gets up, without a glance at Beau, to see what the girls are doing in the kitchen, leaving Beau to deal with James.

* * * *
*Meghan's pov*

"Alicia!" I scorn her like I always have, as if she were my younger sister. Really, she is. I've known her most of my life, and since we met the three of us have been practically inseparable. Serendipity was created pretty late in our friendship however it was definitely the best idea we've had.

"What?!" She exclaims, wide eyed in innocence. "I was just asking! And I still want an answer!"

I shake my head in disbelief, grinning. "I'm not going to describe my sex life to you Alicia. Yes, it will be hard to... Do stuff... in my state, but..." Even I can't keep a straight face at my own words. It's so ridiculous. Alicia doubles over with laughter and Mel's using the kitchen counter for support. I realize how much I've missed them in this moment. How the hell did I go 9 months totally alone?! I was an idiot. Luke messed me up so bad, and it was such a stupid thing for me to do, to isolate myself.

"I'll never separate myself from you guys again. Ever." I promise. "It was a hard situation for me and it was for us all, but I should've dealt with it differently. Chicks before dicks after all!"

Mel and Ali beam at me and I flush, placing my hand in the centre of our little triangle. They both smack their hands down above mine and it's like I'm twelve all over again.