Chapter LVII - Miranda's in Melbourne

*Luke's pov*
The first contact other than Meghan that I get in the hotel isn't the way I want it. A call from my family would be nice. An apology from Jai, even though it wouldn't mean shit. But when my phone beeps, it's a message from the last person I want to see.

Miranda.

What the fuck is her problem anyway? Why can't she just leave me alone?

She wants to know where I am, because she's coming to Melbourne for final tour preparations. I almost laugh out loud at this. What a mess. Daniel gone, Beau in a different state, two twins that won't talk to each other and God knows where James is. But I tell her where I am, because maybe that's what I need right now. To get my mind off things.

*Meghan's pov*
Jai's gone when I wake up, so I have time to curl in a ball and cry. I give myself an hour, then tell myself to get up and get ready, because I'm going to go see Luke.

The familiar routine of curling my hair and applying my makeup calms me down a little, giving me time to just gather my thoughts. I don't know Luke's room number, but it's a small hotel and I can ask at the counter. Deep breaths. In and out.

I leave after dinner time, but I don't eat. If I did, I might be sick. My stomach is knotting and unknotting, my gut twisting and my brain turning circles in my skull. Why does it have to be this way? That's what's repeating in my head. When did it become like this? But I know why. Because of Luke's unfaithful behaviour.

But was it unfaithful? Was I just paranoid, like usual?

I can't remember the drive, just the tinkling of the bell on the door as I walk through. My numb voice asking for his room number. Then the hollow sound of my footsteps on the wooden stairs, dulled by a thick burgundy carpet. But I don't knock. I stand there, fist raised, knowing that behind this door is a man who once meant everything to me. A boy who was my best friend, that grew into my lover and my reason for existence. But something holds me captive, knuckles a foot from the dark mahogany surface of the door, and causes me to lower my hand, and tuck it back into my pocket.

What am I doing here? This man may have meant something to me, but all he's succeeded in doing is driving me to the stage of depression, on more than one occasion.

This is what sends me back out through the tinkling door without a goodbye, into the cold, windy weather (somewhat relevant) and back into the car, where I sit hunched over for ten minutes just holding my head between my hands. Compressing my thoughts, forcing back the wave that's threatening to rise. I manage to get back to the house before it peaks, then it submerges me in a dreamless sleep.

*Luke's pov*
Miranda arrives that night, after dinner time. She comes straight to the hotel and invites herself in, the same smug look on her face as before. This time I don't resist. What am I resisting against, after all? There's less motivation than last time, and I didn't resist then. I fall asleep after this time, with a woman I don't love in my arms.