Chapter XXXI - "Call 911! Now!"

Chelsey leaves after what seems like forever. I wasn't expecting her to stay the first night, far less the second, but if she hadn't left tonight I know that I personally would have spoken up. For a good few minutes after the door shuts, we just stay where we are, revelling in the silence.

"So..." Alicia speaks up first, curled up against Skip, knees up to her chest, hands on her belly. The bump is noticeable, but not huge yet.

Skip strokes her hair. "Does anyone want a game of something?" He finishes for her.

"Uno!" Jai suggests, eyeing me competitively from across the room. I return the look.

"I'm up for that!" James says.

"I need to get some editing done." Luke sighs, and for some reason that really annoys me. He hasn't even picked up the laptop in the past two days when Chelsey was here but as soon as we want to play a game, he's busy. It strikes a nerve with me.

He gets up to fetch his laptop and the rest of us go through to the dining room with the pack of Uno cards.

* * * *

Half an hour into the game it's a fierce competition.

"Uno!" I yell, and Mel curses loudly, rolling her eyes. Jai eyes me up competitively and I stare him down. He raises his card.

"Blue." He places the pick up four card on top of my yellow eight and I hide my grimace. Alicia's on Jai's right, but when I turn to her she isn't picking up cards. Her face seems to have drained of all colour and both hands are on her swollen stomach.

"Alicia!" My chair squeals against the linoleum as I stand up, but I push it away as I run to lift Ali from her chair. Her hands never leave her belly and her face remains pale, but she turns her face to me in horror.

"Something's wrong. Something's wrong with baby Skip." She says in distraught, her eyes frenzied and panicked. I catch sight of a streak of blood down the inside of her leg and I feel my head spin.

"Luke! Luke!" Luke's head pokes around the wall.

"What is it babe?"

"Call 911! Now! It's the baby!" I fight to keep my voice calm but I can barely stand straight. Mel gets over just in time to catch me as I pass out and guide me to the sofa.