Chapter LI - My Girl

My breath catches and I can't talk.

"Meghan? Meghan, are you there?"

Miranda? Luke and Miranda?

My mind is reeling, my body numb. I'm in shock. Beau's words ring in my ears. "He was taking Miranda out for dinner. I can't believe he could have gotten over you so quickly, he was whipped!"

I can't believe he could have gotten over you so quickly.

Gotten over you.

This time, tears don't fall. I'm so done with Luke's shit. I thought he said he didn't like Miranda like that. We were always gonna get back together, weren't we? I didn't think goodbye meant forever. I was just waiting for us both to learn our lessons.

Then he has to go and chuck the shit onto the fan. Well, it's just typical, really, isn't it?

Beau's voice is still calling from the phone but I hang up without a second thought. I already know who to go to. The only person who I can always count on. Also the person that would hurt Luke the most. Someone who would make him feel like I do if he saw them with me. It's easy. Someone that deep down, I've always loved.

Jai.

****

*Luke's pov*
"Look, Ms Bligh, it was really nice tonight and I had an enjoyable time, but I have a girlfriend. Not right now, but I will. And you're my boss!" I back down the concrete stairs, away from her claw-like fingers with the inch long purple nails. Her lips part for an airy laugh to pass.

"Luke, my darling!" She coos, reaching out again, and I duck away. She remains as stubborn as ever and giggles again. "You're so cute! You're taking this so seriously! I'm not looking for marriage, just a night with you. Just me and you."

I'm shaking my head before she's finished. What the fuck is she on?! She's my motherfucking head of music production! Then I know what's going to happen before it happens and I turn and bolt. I only make it to the little picket fence before she says what I was waiting for; "I am in charge of your music production, you know." I freeze with my hand on the gate and turn slowly to see her smirk, one long fingernail tapping below her chin almost thoughtfully. Her gaze is cruel and calculating. "I wouldn't push it, if I were you." She adds.

The words seem to send a sliver of ice down my spine. I'm not worried for myself, if she'd threatened to sabotage my personal career it wouldn't have bothered me. But she cleverly included the boys in her bargain. Throwing away my future is one thing, I don't see my future without Meghan anyway, and this would risk that. But throwing away the boys' futures... I can't do that. And she knows that.

* Meghan's pov *
The phone rings twice then cuts off with a "Hey, girl!" from Jai.

"Hi, Jai! How are you?" I ask chirpily, smiling at the sound of his familiar voice. It's been ages since I've called him, because Luke's been keeping us apart. He wouldn't ever admit it, but I know he didn't want us being together too much in case anything happened. Which was quite fucking rude honestly.

"I'm good babe, you? And how's Luke?" Jai replies sweetly.

"He's... well, I don't know. We kind of broke up a while ago." I answer quietly, and it still aches to say it out loud.

There's silence. "Oh. I'm so sorry!" He says quickly, but he doesn't sound too sorry. Of course not. Jai's made it clear that he's not a big fan of our relationship. He loves Luke obviously and I have no doubt he would pick his brother over me anytime, but he's always been very protective of me. And he's always assumed I would end up coming to him.

"It's okay. I wanted to phone you because we hadn't talked in ages though, and maybe we could catch up?"

"Yeah! Of course, any time! I'm back in Melbourne for the week but you could always fly back for a bit? Did you have a date in mind?"

"I think I will, actually! Saturday?" I ask, smiling at his fast reply.

"Definitely! I'll pick you up."

"Yeah, okay. I'll text you when I have details on my flight." I reply, and we say our farewells. When I tuck my phone back into my pocket, I'm feeling pretty proud.

Screw Luke. I think, even though it hurts that he's probably with Miranda right now. I never really considered being without Luke. I guess I have no one to blame but myself, seeing as I technically ended it.

But if I could take it back, I'm not even sure if I would.

* * * *
*Jai's pov*
When I put the phone down, I'm grinning from ear to ear. How long I have waited, for Luke to fuck up, so that I could have a chance with my girl. Of course she's my girl. Whenever Luke fucked up before, I was always there. I've always loved her. But she always went for Luke. Now she's realised that while Luke isn't always there for her, I am.

This is my chance and I'm not going to screw it up.