Chapter XXI - Big Birthday Bash

"Oh my god I'm freaking exhausted!" I complain, sprawling across Luke's sofa awkwardly. James has just caught a bus home and he was the last guest to leave. Now it's just the twins and I, because Beau went out to meet up with some of his school mates.

"Don't worry, you can go to sleep." Luke says and I shrug a little.

"Mum will be expecting me home soon. What's the date?" My watch is back at my house because mum took it home from the hospital. It's hell not having my watch, since I was 14 I haven't been able to live without it.

Luke checks his own. "It is... the 23rd!"

"Fuck. Of June?" Jai exclaims.

I smirk. "Yup. Two days til I'm 17."

Jai's jaw drops. "Oh fuck. So you turned 16 when we were in LA?"

Luke's expression freezes over, his warm eyes suddenly cold and full of turmoil. It's as if I'm watching his self loathing rise back to the surface. I want to tell him it's okay but I know it won't make a difference. He absolutely hates himself over that whole situation and he will never forgive himself.

"Yeah.." I say quietly. "But I don't really remember it."

Jai's face falls and Luke's crumples. Why the hell did I say that?! What possessed me to think I should add that?!

"I'm sorry, guys." I whisper.

Luke shakes his head, his face dull. "What the fuck do you mean, you're sorry?! This has nothing to do with you! This is all my fault, my own fucking fault, and you're the innocent girl that even though I love more than my whole life, will forever be dragged into situations like these! Because I'm a fucking dickhead. I don't deserve you. You don't deserve this shit."

I'm crying before he finishes. "Luke that's not how I think of this! You're the love of my life and I don't care what crap you put me through, I know we'll get through it. This isn't your fault. This is your career, and when we end up married and starting our own family, this stuff that you're doing now will be what helps support our kids! It isn't your fault! It isn't!" I hiccup, and we're silent for a full ten seconds before I giggle a little, and Jai laughs. Even Luke smiles a little.

"I'm sorry." I giggle, a bit choked up. "I feel a little drunk right now."

Jai chuckles. "Well, I think this calls for a big birthday celebration! Not a party, just some family and closer friends. We can have it here, because this is where you're staying for as long as possible, in case you didn't know. And we'll really splash out on presents this year, to make up for two years. How's that?" He winks and smiles sweetly. I start to smile weakly then my bottom lip trembles and I start to cry again, laughing a little through my tears.

Jai looks dumbfounded. "I thought that would make you happy."

I laugh louder, wiping away my tears. "I am happy Jai. I'm so happy that I can't show you in any other way!"

Luke shakes his head, chuckling. "I gave up on understanding girls a long time ago."

* * * *

"Mum!" I throw my arms around my mum happily. I feel like I haven't seen her properly in months. I can't remember talking to her for those entire 7 months, and was barely awake in hospital. She looks so much like me today I can't believe it. I braided my hair up today and wore a floaty little rose pink floral dress with white sandals. I haven't worn a lot of makeup for a while but I put on some blush and liquid eyeliner for the first time in ages.

Mum looks overjoyed to see me dressed half decent and caring for my appearance. And talking.

Luke steps up beside me and reaches out to hug mum. "Hi, Casey! How are you?"

I see a hundred expressions flicker across mum's face; disgust, pity, hurt, irritation, anger and many more. But she grimaces a smile, sticks out a hand to shake and simply says, "I'm good thanks." Then she turns to me and tells me she'll see me inside, handing me a small stack of wrapped presents.

Luke is staring at the ground and I wrap my arms around his shoulders, standing on tip toe. "I'm sorry, Lukey, she'll get over it." I whisper in his ear, kissing his cheek. He shrugs.

"I just wish I could take back everything." He says so quietly I almost miss it.

"In my mind, you have." I reply.

* * * *

My little celebration is one of the best days of my life. The Janoskians are there, Serendipity is there, my mum and Gina are there, and Hunter and Nadia are there. It's small, but it's cosy, and everyone that I really care about is here.

Gina has prepared snacks for us all and Jai ordered pizza for dinner already. The boys weren't exaggerating about how much would be spent on presents; Luke bought me a new Macbook pro and Jai bought me a pair of purple Beats. Beau, Gina, Daniel and James put in money to pay for a new camera, and Mel and Alicia bought a whole bunch of new clothes and shoes. My family gave me an iPad mini and several bags of my favourite Fruchocs.

Jai puts on Fifa in one room and I just sit with Luke, Beau, Gina and my family in the dining room. It feels amazing to talk normally with my whole family again, especially with Luke's arm around my waist. Mum calms down with Luke as he's polite and respectful time after time. No one brings up LA and Gina becomes icy when mum brings up the accident. All too soon mum has to leave. I say goodbye quickly, tears threatening to fall. Mum even gives Luke a hug, then he takes me through to the lounge room where everyone is.

For the first time in my life, I'm genuinely happy. I'm surrounded by people I love, I'm physically (almost), mentally and financially content, and I have my whole life in front of me. If I want, I can have seven kids. We can live anywhere we want in the world. I can have any kind of wedding I'd like. Life is the way I want it.