chapter 9: 1 step forward

Chapter 9:
1 step forward

Chapter 9:1 step forward

SEUNGHEE

My working studio is the same one that Kang Haneul got me from To the sky but this time, Sorn lives there now too. I come to work this morning to see her still asleep on a sleeping bag on the floor with a laptop next to her. I think she's been writing. It's all in English so I ignore it.

I go ahead and make some coffee after putting my bag on my desk. "Eonni?" Sorn's small, groggy morning voice calls out.

"Good morning. Coffee?"

"Yes, thank you. Good morning. You're earlier than I thought you'd come. Haneul said you come around eight. I should've set my alarm earlier." She says, scratching her head.

"Why are you sleeping here?" I ask, giving her a cup of coffee.

"Kang Haneul said this is where I live now."

I nod. "They must really not have a budget."

"No, I should be thankful. It shouldn't even be their responsibility where I live while staying in Korea but I'm broke and well, Kang Haneul is nice."

I take a sip and turn on the computer. Kang Haneul is nice. Ha. "Were you writing?" I ask.

Sorn gets up and stretches. "Yeah, I stayed up all night because I was so inspired to write a new book situated in Seoul."

"Aigoo, I wish I still have the same enthusiasm that you have." I start working on my draft.

Sorn just watched me quietly and then she says, "What did you do last night, eonni? Did you make a lot of progress?"

I chuckle. "I slept."

"I wish I have the same ease that you have. Eonni, I really love writing. That's why I'm trying to learn different styles and I especially love the way Koreans do it. Anyway, I hope I could learn a lot from you." She says smiling and then she turns her back on me for a moment and I sigh and mutter, "I don't know about that."

Sorn turns to me again. "Do you mind working with music on, eonni?"

I shake my head no. I really don't.

Sorn plays an English song. She sits right across from me after washing her face, humming to the song that's playing. "But she's beautiful... she looks kind... she probably gives you butterflies..." Sorn starts singing and her voice is actually really good.

I hope you're happy
But not like how you were with me
I'm selfish, I know
I can't let you go
So find someone great,
but don't find no one better
I hope you're happy
But don't be happier

My fingers hover over the keyboard as I listen to the lyrics.

"This song makes me think about a non existent ex, eonni." Sorn says with a grin.