chapter 14: first love

Chapter 14:
First love

Chapter 14:First love

SEUNGHEE

Rather than What Planet Are You From, I've been thinking about Yeeun. I wonder if she woke up okay this morning. Probably not. Her fight with Joon seemed a little heavy last night. It almost reminds me of that time with Hyunjin.

     I shake my head. “Ahh, no! That's not the same.”

     Sorn looks at me like I've gone insane. “Are you okay, eonni?” She asks, her eyeglasses dropping low on the bridge of her nose.

    “No, I'm worried about my friend.”

     “Aigoo, what a lucky friend. Even at work, you worry about her.”

     “She's been a long time friend. By the way, how are you settling in? Are you really okay living here? That sleeping bag looks uncomfortable.”

     Sorn shrugs. “I don't have a choice, eonni. I don't have enough to rent my space and I don't want to ask my parents for help. I came here to prove myself to myself but to them too.”

     I take a deep breath. “I have an idea but I have to speak with some people before I tell you.”

     Sorn blinks. “What idea?”

     “Don't ask.”

     “Aye, you told me you have an idea and then you expect me not to ask.”

     “I'll tell you soon, so don't ask.”

* * *

YEEUN

     I skip work the next day. No matter how I think about it, I'm just not yet ready to face the world again, so I send Sungjae a message and apologize.

Seungyeon comes home before Seunghee while I'm listening to a slow music. We haven't spoken since this morning when she told me to talk to a therapist. It's still reeling in my head among other things. As she's preparing dinner, Seunghee comes home as well. I'm just there sitting on the couch without saying anything to anyone.

     “I bought drinks.” Seunghee says.

     “You alcoholic.” Seungyeon responds but takes the bag of canned beers anyway. “Let's eat, Yeeun-ah.”

     I sit with them on the table.

     “You look like a zombie.” Seunghee tells me. “Are you okay?” She asks.

     “Joon hasn't called me.” I say.

     “Asshat.” Seungyeon mutters.