chapter 26: this isn't good bye

Chapter 26this isn't goodbye_____________________

Chapter 26
this isn't goodbye
_____________________

| SEUNGYEON |

I haven't seen my mother since that time I went back to our hometown to get answers from the anonymous person who ruined my public image and I haven't seen my father in ages. Sitting across from them right now in a busy restaurant in Seoul feels strange and something about their gaze at me has always made my heart beat a little fast.

My mother is a known news anchor in a huge entertainment company and my father is a respectable detective, that's why ever since I was a kid, the expectations set on me have always been too high.

I was twelve when I first told them that I wanted to be a dancer. My mother had laughed and told me it'll pass, that I will realize what I really want to become once I grow up. And then in high school, when I met Seunghee and Yeeun, I got the courage to audition and in that audition, they asked me to act. I still don't know what they saw in me back then but I ended up making my debut as an actress, managing to hide it from my parents until they can't do anything to stop it.

The both of them stopped talking to me since then. At first, I've felt freedom. I was finally free from their high expectations but as time goes by, I have to admit even in my disbelief that I still wish they'd be proud of how successful I've become, of how independent I was from them and still thrive.

The waitress pours our glasses a drink just as my father says, “Congratulations on launching your own company.”

For the first time, I don't know how to react to them.

Mother lifts her glass with a nod. “I can't believe I'll say this but... after all that turmoil you were in, you actually got yourself out alive.” She says, pausing. “It... It makes us proud.”

I start slicing the steak they have ordered for me. “Thank you.” I say. My voice comes out neutral. I thought that I would be bursting in joy once this moment finally comes. I thought that I would finally feel complete but hearing them now, I realized I've always been whole because I've always been loved by people around me even if my parents didn't love me or maybe didn't love me enough.

I smile a little and add, “I wish you'd been with me through it allㅡbut thank you for being proud of me.”

They look at each other. I couldn't tell from their reaction if they regretted everything but they've always been good at hiding emotions and for the first time in my life, I didn't need their validation.

We continue eating in silence for a while until they slowly begin updating me about their lives that revolved around their jobs and even though I know I love them because they brought me into this world, I found myself hoping that I won't become like them.