chapter 24: falling into weekend

Chapter 24Falling Into Weekend

Chapter 24
Falling Into Weekend

SEUNGHEE

I'm in the middle of dressing up in front of the mirror in my room when I take a double look at my face and pause. Why do I look so excited? I sit down and continue looking at my face. It's a little different but I can't pinpoint what exactly. It just looks a little more relaxed despite going to bed at 3AM last night, probably later than that. I don't even know. I've just been writing and then the next thing I know I'm waking up with keyboard traces on my cheek. Thank God, they disappeared when I took a shower.

Anyway, I'm the second person who arrives at the meeting place. Haneul is already there, being the early bird this time. He smiles and waves at me as soon as he sees me. I don't know which is brighter between him and the sun that's just starting to rise. “Seunghee!” He calls out as he jogs towards me.

“Hi.” I say, smiling back at him.

“Hi.”

We take in each other for a moment and then he clears his throat. “Did you bring food? It's your treat today.”

“Yeah, I wish Sohee and Hyunjin were here too.” I say.

Haneul raises an eyebrow. “Do you, really?”

I laugh because I'm somehow relieve that Sohee and Hyunjin aren't showing up today. Well, the latter at least. It's just that I'm afraid of ruining the day again because of our history.

“Kids!” Both Soojung and Sehyeon are walking towards us.

“Sunbaenim!”

“Don't think we'll go easy on you just because there's only four of us.” Soojung says smiling.

* * *

The camping site this time is still located on a mountain but we're at the edge and the view is just more mountains and a vast sky. Before it gets hot in the noon, we've started setting up our tents.

And I'm struggling.

Haneul comes over to check on me. "How long are you going to spend working on the poles?" He asks.

I sigh, dropping my hands while I keep my grip on the poles. Haneul himself is already sweating from all the work. He rubs the back of his hand on his forehead. "I really watched on YouTube before I sleep. I borrowed them from Seungyeon but this must be not the same tent." I say.

"Ah, right. The previous campsite provided the tents." Haneul says, taking the poles from my hand and smiling at me. "I'll do it. Watch closely and learn."

"You're Godsent."

He grins at that before turning away to start working. After some time of assisting, I decide to walk away for a minute to get us both bottles of water from the cooler that Sehyeon brought today. But even as I'm taking them, I couldn't help but glance at Haneul from a distance.