epilogue: daylight

Epilogue ✨

"Step into the daylight
and let it go."
ㅡTaylor Swift

"ㅡTaylor Swift

9 years ago...

SEUNGHEE

In senior year, you'd think that they wouldn't make you do a project about Father's Day that'll be significant to your final grades. The literature and arts teachers in the whole school have made the Father's Day a whole huge thing by requiring students to submit their art and pages and pages of essays about how special fathers are.

As someone who's aspiring to become a writer but most importantly get into a nice college university, I felt screwed. The project and the entire concept of Father's Day felt cruel to me after my dad passed away over just a few months ago. My teacher in literature and arts told me specifically that I can do a different kind of project if I wasn't ready to talk about my father yet. Since they know about the tragedy that happened recently, I got a free pass.

But I didn't want a free pass. I didn't want to be different. I just needed more time. And time was what kept slipping away from my fingers as I stared at the blank page of my notebook every single night trying to write about my father.

Now I was standing in front of the school's infamous bulletin board where they posted some of the best work just in time to celebrate Father's Day and my paper was pinned there like a testament of grief. I guess I should just be thankful that the first place went to a junior named Jang Yeeun, whose painting was very intricate if I must say.

Something about it didn't sit right with me though. If you looked at it with a mindset of a lovely father, it would be understandable why it won. But the painting was from another person's perspective. It was a huge window with flowers on the sills, with an overview of a neighbor's house where a father carried his daughter over his shoulders on a sunny day.

It wasn't the painter's experience but someone else's.

Where the heck is Seungyeon? I need to theorize about this painting with her and she'd gone off to buy us drinks from the cafeteria.

I heard a sigh next to me. "Father's day, huh?" A pretty girl with a really long hair stood next to me in front of the bulletin board. "Why do they force us to celebrate it?"

I looked at her name pin then. Jang Yeeun.

"Congrats on getting first place." I told her.