chapter 20: careful what you wish for

Chapter 20: Careful what you wish for

SEUNGHEE

My heart is beating so hard against my chest. The times when I wanted to quit this project seem like forever ago. I've been working so hard these days and I've been so inspired, and I have so many new visions for this project that I know it'll break my heart now if it actually gets canceled.

But Haneul shakes his head. “No, that's not it.” He says immediately.

I release a sigh of relief. “Then what? PD-nim, cut the suspense.”

“I wasn't able to cast Chang Seungyeon. I did want her for the role. She is the best in it, no doubt. But the investors for this project all said no, opposite to us who are actually working hard to make this story come to life.” He sounds genuinely frustrated and I don't knowㅡit kind of melts something in me. “You voted yes. Hyunjin voted yes. I voted yes. I'm sorry, Seunghee.”

“PD-nim, are you Seungyeon's fan boy?” I ask.

“What? Well, no. I mean, yes I'm a fan of her acting but—”

“Then, don't beat yourself up on it.”

He finally looks at me. “You're not mad?”

“Of course, I'm mad at those investors but I also kind of understand them. They don't know Seungyeon. They don't know the truth. This is business and they're investing money in it. They wouldn't want to lose that. Seungyeon isn't exactly in the best light right now.” I say with a sigh. “But you tried your best. I'm grateful for that, that you believed in her talent and not how she's painted as at the moment.”

Haneul just looks at me for a moment.

“Don't worry. I should be the one to tell her. She'll be disappointed but she'll understand. She was already expecting this, to be honest.”

“I shouldn't have asked her to audition. She wouldn't have had to be disappointed.”

I chuckle. “You did the right thing and you gave me a chance to see my best friend act on my own script. That's already something for me. Thank you, Kang Haneul.”

He rubs the back of his neck and smiles... a little shyly at me. Wow. Kang Haneul. Shy. You see something new every day.

“Is that the only reason you came here?” I ask him.

“I wanted to be the one to tell you before you hear it from others. Also, since I'm here anyway, I'm checking your progress.”

I grin. There's the Kang Haneul that I know. “I do have progress, PD-nim.”

* * *

SEUNGYEON

Seunghee and Yeeun come home at the same time that Tuesday night and they both barge into the door shouting my name.