chapter 25: superstar

Chapter 25Superstar

Chapter 25
Superstar

SEUNGYEON

My stomach is churning as I peek through door that leads to the podium. Reporters are already there ready with their cameras and laptops. I take a deep breath, everything sounds a little louder than they should. It's like I'm hearing ever click of the cameras, every hit of fingers on the keyboards, every murmur of whispers, even my heels clacking against the pavement as I walk.

I've held press conferences before for the projects that I worked on. This is definitely not the first time so many cameras are flashing on me. I've been on several red carpets too.

But jeez, my public image has been in a whirlwind from the loving actress everybody adored, to the false scandal, to the rumors of getting kicked out by my previous company, to turning tables and getting my first gig in a year and now thisㅡlaunching my own agency.

I've been the good and the bad. How do I stand in front of these people without thinking that they might be thinking I'm the horrible person I've been painted to be in the past several months?

My hand trembles visibly to me as I reach for the mic. I hope nobody else noticed that or my nervous smile despite having rehearsed in front of the mirror countless times this morning as I get ready.

“Hello, everyone. Thank you for coming here to... hear what I have to say.” Thank God, my voice at least sounds stable. There's a page of my speech that I've been working on for weeks. Seunghee has helped me edit it through it all.

The girls have been so supportive. Yeeun and Yujin have come with me to the mall the other night to help me pick out an outfit.

I'm wearing a suit; a black sleeveless top tucked into high-waisted plaid pants and covered with a matching blazer. Yujin suggests I get a high ponytail but Yeeun argues it comes off too strong so I ended up having a half high ponytailㅡwhich looks fantastic, I must say. It's just that looking gorgeous right now might not be the key into swaying the people back to my side.

“I feel like I've been explaining myself a lot lately.” I see Seunghee and Yeeun slip into the room. “That's because I know I might have taken everyone in a series of surprises. I know a lot of things happened but I'm thankful to the ones who believed in me and I'm so thankful to be here, taking on a new chapter of my life.”

I take a deep breath and smile. A real smile though still a little nervous. “It took a lot of courage to get here but today, I am so nervous but so proud to announce that I will be under an independent agency which I own.”

More flashes. More murmurs. Faster keyboard sounds.

“CLC will not be here without the people who supported me all the way through my decisions and encouraged me to keep going when things didn't always go well. I would like to thank my manager, my confidant, my best friendㅡChoi Yujin for not giving up on me. I don't always say it to her but it's so rare to find people who stick with you through thick and thin and that's what she did, and for that I'll always be thankful for her existence in my life. I would also like to thank my best friends who always knew how to pick me up when I'm down even though they have their own baggages to carry.”