CHAPTER TWO (The Promoter)

A strong person is the one who knows how to be quiet, shed a tear for the moment, and then picks up the sword and fight again.

—————-

Vie's POV

It was always about the fight.

That was all I could hear from my father. In his office, at home, while he was talking on the phone. He was telling everyone about his breed of fighters. On how he was earning money from them. And how he got so many sponsors for being the best promoter in this deadly sports game.

Because my father, Ulysses Venderbilt was the promoter and owner of Fighter's Ring. A local mixed martial arts promotion company based here in Manila. It was patterned from Las Vegas' Ultimate Fighting Championship. My father saw the potential of this kind of game here in the Philippines. It started with small underground fights, until people started noticing his promotion. It produced events nationwide that showcases some of his best fighters, and his consultant Brandon has helped my father to grow his promotion into a popular multi-billion peso enterprise.

And I should be proud. I should be honored that my father has an empire. That people were loving and supporting his events.

But no. I am just getting sick of it each and every day.

Because behind the fame that Fighter's Ring promotion was getting right now, there was something darker lurking deep within the promotion. Something sinister that I don't understand why those patrons keeps on enjoying it.

I am used hearing bets in my father's office. I am used on seeing big and muscled men inside our house negotiating with my father. I am used on seeing them bloody and beaten inside the ring.

But what I am not going to get used to was seeing men lifeless after each fight inside that deadly ring.

Napahinga ako ng malalim at naupo sa couch na nasa loob ng silid ko. Hindi pa rin mawaglit sa isip ko ang huling fight na napanood ko kanina. It was raw. Brutal. I could still hear the cracking of the bones from someone's neck. The ultimate final kill.

He's going to go for the kill. Johnny "The Executioner" Jones is going for the kill.

Napapikit ako nang maalala ko ang boses ng announcer sa fight kanina. Ang lalakas ng hiyawan ng mga tao. Bugbog na bugbog na si Peng Sales. I felt bad for him. He was a good man. Ilang beses ko din siyang nakita sa opisina ni Papa. He was asking for a main event fight sa Fighter's Ring. My father, he knew who were those fighters and fights that can sell. And Peng Sales was not saleable in the mainstream fights.

But father gave him a choice to get the fame that he always wanted.

To fight Johnny Jones in their underground illegal cage match.

Johnny Jones was the ruthless, soulless fighter of my father. He was not having fights in the mainstream cage matches in Fighter's Ring. Those fights were nothing to him, because he was fighting for the rich and powerful people who were hungry for violence.

People who were hungry for blood.

Gore.

Kill.

Napabuga ako ng hangin nang maalala ko ang eksena kanina. God damn Johnny. Demonyo talaga. I knew Peng was pleading for his life. But knowing Johnny, he would give the entertainment those people what they paid for. And for his satisfaction.

The kill that people was looking for after each of his fight inside that deadly ring.

Alam kong illegal ang fights na iyon. Pantakip lang naman ni Papa ang Fighter's Ring para hindi siya maimbestigahan tungkol sa illegal fights na ino-organize ng consultant niyang si Brandon. Kung millions ang kinikita ni Papa sa Fighter's Ring, mas doble, triple ang kinikita niya sa Death Match. Milyon ang pustahan madalas. Sometimes, businesses were at stake. Hindi ko maintindihan kung ano ang nagustuhan nila sa ganoong klaseng laro. For me, it was not a game but just a mere justification that they can watch someone getting killed without dragging their conscience in hell.