He joined the team

(De Andre's POV)

My body became rigid as I looked at the student in front of me with shifting eyes and a relaxed face.

"You want to join the team?" I said out loud but then I remembered that Elena in season 1 persuaded Stefan to join the team to become more "sociable."
Tanner moved me closer to Stefan that I am now leaning over him by more than a few inches. I almost feel like a shadow curling over him from the proximity between us.

"This will be our season boys, I have a feeling."Tanner brags as he puts both arms around us as if we are one big happy family. He is squeezing the life out of my arm that it starts to become numb.

The expression on Stefan's face is detailing uncomfortable by an asshole teacher.
Tanner squeezed us both on the arms one last time before letting go.

"Now, you both go to the locker room to put on your gear," he says and blew his whistle which perked up the players on the field to start practice. I start to speed walk to the locker room and inside is a football player who is putting on his gear. I approached him smiling.

"Hello, I need a uniform for football practice where can I get it from?" I politely asked. He gave me directions to a room with all of the football uniforms inside. I turned the light on in the room looking through boxes of used football jerseys and pants. The occasional jockstraps were wrapped in plastic underneath the clothes.

"Could you hand me a uniform?" Someone asked making me leap onto the box like a frog. I turn around to see Stefan leaning against the doorframe.

"I did not mean to scare you." he walked towards me putting out his hand as an offer to get me off the floor. I reluctantly took his hand which gripped mine hard.

"I did not hear you come in," I said as I quickly removed my hand.

"I have light footsteps," he said nonchalantly and I get my gear out of the smashed box running back to the main locker room.

////////////

I am dressed running out to the field helmet in my hand. Stefan is four steps behind me. I am not good at Football even though I am very observant in the sport. I used to watch it on the big screen with Maya. I can not believe I said her name to myself when the thought of her makes me...

"Dragonmirth, snap out of it! If you are going to become my star quarterback, you got to play good offense." I put my helmet on and get in position behind a player. I am supposed to throw the ball to Stefan and we would trade places in catching it.
The coach wanted to see how fast we both could run with the ball without dropping it. I went through the motions on the field looking for Stefan to see him running down the field.

I threw the ball to him. He caught the ball effortlessly before I was tackled to the ground. I just wish I could lay there not getting up but I knew that would be a bad idea. Tanner wants me on the team most of all. He still wanted me to try out along with Stefan. I needed to prove to the team I earn my place when I, did not ever want to be on it in the first place.

"Hey, De Andre, you okay?" In my vision, I see blue eyes and blonde hair knowing right away it's Matty's blue eyes. He pulled me up and patted my arm.

"I am fine." This is a lie I am not fine. I just bottle everything up with a painted smile for the whole world to see.

"Dude stop babying him." an arrogant voice said approaching us.

"Ty, he took a pretty hard hit. I am surprised his helmet didn't fly off." Matt said. I am sure that this person with the attitude is Tyler Lockwood.

"Well if you can not take the heat get out of the kitchen." He walked past me slamming his shoulder against my arm. I grunted a little and Matt smiled putting his helmet back on. He got into position.