The games we play part 1

(De Andre's POV)

I gave him my game face. I could not hesitate. Do not hesitate. Dre, you got this. I will let him make the first move. Students are sitting down ready for the showdown. Some of them even shout. Stomping their feet. He bounces the ball in his hands. Walking back and forth. I follow his movements. When I looked right, he throws the ball from his position. I do a 360 spin throwing my ball. It hits home right in his face. Did he let me win or was I too fast? People cheered for my victory.

In games, there is always a winner and a loser. I won this game with Stefan but I have a feeling there will be others.

////////////////

"Good game, Son." Mr. Cross blew the whistle for us all to get washed and changed. Everyone runs to the locker rooms with me in tow. I took a quick ten-minute shower and put on lotion. I am not going to class with ashy skin. I put on my shirt when Stefan approached me. He stuck a hand out.

"Good game," he said. I shook his hand.

"Same to you," I said walking away with my bookbag.

Note to self: Stay on your toes with Stefan. If you can't stay away from him. Well, keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

//////////////////////

I went to the Art class on the third floor. We watched a movie about Frida Kahlo to answer questions on a sheet for homework. Jeremy barely comes to class. I feel a little guilty about turning down a possible friendship. I do not have any friends. Associates, yes. Friends, no.

I try my best not to get attached to people here but it's backfiring. A prime example is the family that honors me as a brother, son, and grandchild. The priority on my list is leaving here even if it burns me deeply. I do not belong here. The movie characters move in my vision as my thoughts are in another place. I will watch the first half of the movie again.

The lights turn back on as the bell rang for the next class. Students start to pack up their things.

"Remember to do those questions. We will finish the movie tomorrow." Ms. White said. I put my paper in my folder.

"De Andre, please come up here." I put the folder in my bag and zipped it up. I carry my bag to her.

"Yes, Ms. White?" I said. She hands me a pile of paperwork.

"Um, what is this?" I asked.

"Jeremy's makeup work from the weeks he missed. I am tired of him giving me the same old excuses. The office does not do anything. I am working with morons! I was hoping you could give it to him." she said. I shook my head.

"I think it would be better if Elena--"

"I do not know Elena but I know you. I have a feeling you can get him back on track for some reason," she said. I do not want to see him. At all. He will slam the door right in my face. He thought I could be someone who understands. I do. I just hate the complications of my presence.

I wave the papers in my hand.

"Ms. White--"

"Oh, you got to go. The class is starting soon. Hurry." she said pushing me out into the crowded hallway. The things these characters put me through.

//////////////////////////////

Math class was over in a flash. I am walking to lunch to meet Scarlet. I look around the busy cafeteria for her. Where is she? I finally see a table in the corner with her sitting there, overwhelmed. I join her at the corner table. She becomes alert to my attention.